1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First vertical lines, then BSOD, cannot boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Larkru, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Hi.

I have a Toshiba Tecra M5-S4332, Intel Centrino duo, with 4gb RAM running Windows XP sp3. I couldn't see very well one day and opened an email I thought I recognized. Never had virus problem before via email though know it happens. Powered down laptop for the night.

Next morning, sets of five blue vertical lines up and down my monitor. Shut down. Powered up later..same lines. F8 to go into safe mode with command line. Went to Programs, ran Avast scan which identified 8 or 9 issues - each the same but with a different number at the end. Tried to delete but Avast wouldn't allow it. Ran Glary Utilities to check registry. Found 8 problems. Deleted problems. Reboot and laptop booted up normally. Powered down at day's end.

Next morning, same problem. Tried Glary Utilities..no problems found. Ran Malwarebytes' Anti-malware. Took 2.5 hours. No malicious items detected.

Shut down. Cooled machine. Removed RAM one at a time. No change. Boot up and logged in. Same lines. Did NOT go into safe mode. Scrolling programs on screen. Stopped on hotcore.exe for about 30 minutes then finished booting to BSOD. Took system dump and advised contacting administrator. Hotcore supposedly related to Paragon Software. Tried deleting program via command line and CCleaner Tools. Cannot delete in safe mode.

Any ideas would be appreciated before I go buy a new hard drive and start from scratch.

Thanks in advance....Larry

2. gfne

gfne

Sounds like a video card or power supply problem.

3. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Thanks Greg. Still....hoping it's less of a problem than either.

Open to other suggestions.....anyone?

Larry

4. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Please tell us when you startup the PC what happens and what you see........have you tried an external monitor

5. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I did try my external monitor. Same results.

When I start the laptop:
    1. Sharp and clear Toshiba and Intel logos appear
    2..Black screen with horizontal blue bar prompting me for password (swipe works sometimes, otherwise I type it in). Blue bar has vertical stripes through it.
    3. Black screen with clear white type indicating HD has been unlocked.
    4.Sharp and clear Windows logo with boot up indicating bar. Blue vertical stripes on screen through logo.
    5. After about 7 seconds, Blue warning screen. (No vertical stripes) Last line of technical information:

STOP 0X0000007e (0xC0000005, 0x804DA0A2, 0xF78E60F4, 0xF78E5DF0)

This is first boot up of the day. Computer did not attempt to do physical dump of memory.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice