1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fitting a CDRW unit = problems!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ovingite, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ovingite

ovingite Thread Starter

I am trying to install a CDRW unit into my Dell PC, which currently has only a CD and Floppy. Both IDE sockets are in use (CD and hard drive). The CDRW unit came with a flat connector cable, but I have no spare IDE slot, so I used the "spare" connector on the existing CD cable (IDE / CD / CDRW) and connected up power and audio cables.

When I powered up again, neither the CD nor the CDRW were visible. I guess I'm doing something really stupid, but I don't know what.

Can anyone help please

Ovingite

Never put off till tomorrow anything that you can avoid completely.

2. Sponsor

3. Monk_

Monk_

Did you set the jumper on the back of the CDRW, it's between the ribbon and power connections usually, to Slave? Also, be sure the red stripe on ribbon cable is on the same side as your existing drive.

4. ovingite

ovingite Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I can now copy files to the burner fine, but I have noticed that the Copy CD feature runs very slowly. I think this is because the CDRW is slaved off the CD and is having to copy to buffer. Because my hard drive is too far away from the CDRW unit, the ribbon cable won't reach the CDRW. If I can get a longer cable, would slaving the CDRW from the hard drive solve the problem?

If it gets too problematic, I will just stick with it - at least it works!

Again, thanks for your help.

5. slipe

slipe

Sometimes slaving the CD-ROM to the HD helps. Don’t slave the burner to the HD.

If you are copying audio CDs the CD-ROM drive might not be fast enough at digital audio extraction (DAE). Often a 40X CD-ROM won’t even do DAE at 8X. If that is the case there isn’t any sense moving things around if you are already recording as fast as the drive will read the CD.

Go here and download CD Speed or Nero CD Speed and run DAE tests on the CD-ROM drive. http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

6. Marturo

Marturo Guest

This is how I set my boxes up, and it should work for you. IDE 1. ribbon end into Hard drive set to master, center connector of ribbon to 2nd Hard Drive Slave. Ide 2. top of ribbon into CD-RW set to Master, center of ribbon into CD-ROM set to Slave. Make sure you have this configuration set up like this in your CMOS setup also, and what ever program you use, make sure to set the CD-ROM up to write to your CD-RW not from your Hard Drive to your CD-RW. If you look at most computers, they have the CD-RW in the top bay and under that is the CD-ROM. What brand of CD-RW did you buy and what is the name of the program they gave you on your install CD? Setting it up like this will allow you to install a second Hard drive as a slave in a future up grade. You are copying from your CD-ROM to your CD-RW right? In other words you have the Sorce disk in your CD-ROM at the same time you Have a Blank CD-R in the CD-RW right? Marturo

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Dell computers ship out with IDE drives set to CABLE SELECT.

Check and make sure that either both drives are on CABLE SELECT or one is MASTER and other is SLAVE.

Your HD should not be on the same cable as the CD Drive.

If your CD-ROM drive is slow, it will effect your cd-copy.

If you mean from the CDR drive to your HD, perhaps its your HD.

Does your HD have the space? Have you defragged your HD? COpying 600MB of data all over your HD is asking for performance problems and possible errors.

Norton Speed Disk (Part of System works) will DEFRAG your HD 10 times faster than Microsoft and do a better job.

Clean out your reycle bin and clean OUT your c:\windows\temp (there maybe 2-4 LATEST files you can't delete) which could be full of junk.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70631