1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fitting screen to widescreen hdtv to use as monitor

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Adayyum, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adayyum

Adayyum Thread Starter

HI,
    Im trying to use my widescreen hdtv as a monitor for my computer for gaming and I have a sony kp - 65ws510. My gfx card is a radeon x800 pro and when i hooked it up to the hi def input it works but I cant get the picture to fit the screen properly. At the lowest setting something like 600 x 432 or something like that i know it was a weird number it doesnt quite fit it and has a bit of a black border all the way around. But I want to use the higher resolution like i use on my monitor 1156 x ??? ( dont know off the top of my head ) and it shows up on my tv nice and crisp but the image size is gigantic........pretty much just the top left quarter of whats on my monitor shows on my tv. I was trying to change sizes in the display but at that low setting i couldnt even see the "apply" "ok" or "cancel" buttons. But in any case I would like to use a better resolution more like my monitors if possible but of course have it set to the closest widescreen version and then have that fill my screen properly without cropping everything rendering it pointless. thanks for any help I can get

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Will the settings for your card support any of the following HDTV formats that I believe are supported in the Sony KP-65WS510?

1920 x 1080i (Interlaced Scan)
    1280 x 720p (Progressive Scan)

3. Adayyum

Adayyum Thread Starter

yes it has the 1280 x 720 ( doesnt have the p behing the 720 but i assume thats the same ) and that shows up on my tv crisp and clear but its basically just the top left corner of whats showing on my monitor and has a little room where the screen scrolls for reveal a little more of the desktop but nowhere near the full desktop as it appears on my monitor.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What is the resolution you are running on your desktop monitor? It is quite possible that a high end desktop monitor will have higher resolution (pixel count) than the best HDTV display.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I connected my HP laptop to my Samsung plasma display and it worked first time. It even automatically detected the 1366x720 resolution and filled the screen with the expanded desktop. It really shouldn't be this hard, are you sure the drivers are properly configured?

6. Adayyum

Adayyum Thread Starter

1152 x 864 is whats on my monitor but if theres a way to get it on my tv id still like to do that just for gaming.

7. Adayyum

Adayyum Thread Starter

as far as drivers being configured i wouldnt know what to do all the drivers ive gotten should be up to date still unless theres drivers for my tv ur saying im able to get that have to be configured cuz if thats so then i didnt know anyhting about it i just plugged it in and turned it on to what i see.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!