1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fix folder picture in a shared folder across network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sacabonos, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sacabonos

sacabonos Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I have a shared folder which contains many folders for many users on
    my network and to make users folders recognisable we chose to fix a
    folder picture of every folder with the picture of the folder owner.
    The problem is that those folders never have a constant folder picture
    on all of my network computers as the picture always changes for some
    reason, I've tried to set permissions on thumb.db file and also tried
    fiddling with desktop.ini file but no use. Any ideas would be much
    appreciated. Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Changes to what?

Chances are that when those machines boot, they assign the icons before they have accessed the ones on the network. Where are the icons located?

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Hmm, I don't know if I'm understanding fully or not but you are apparently customizing the folder icon of each user at the shared network location with his/her picture?

If so, and that's what isn't "sticking" from log on to log on, try taking away that customization and instead, put the picture you want displayed (.jpg) on the folder for recognition in that folder and rename it folder.jpg, and see if that works from log on to log on and with different systems.

Otherwise, yes, please explain more about the situation based on our inquiries.

4. sacabonos

sacabonos Thread Starter

You totally understand what I am talking about fairnooks. Sorry if I wasn't so clear about my problem. Could you explain what your solution does exactly. Thanks for the reply

PS: Your way worked just fine but when I tried right clicking on the folder > Customize this folder > Choose Picture it changed! and I couldn't locate any thumbs.db or desktop.ini so I don't know where windows saves this setting so I can prevent it from doing so!!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The question I have is where those custom icons are stored. If the icons are loaded from each machine's shell32.dll, for example, it will be a different story than if the icons are loaded from the network location of the folder. And where are you, exactly, when you do the customizations and what is the location of the icon you choose? Are you working on the machine that has the shared folders?

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Well the way I do it is NO customization, thumbnail view. Normally if there are photos inside the target folder you get a four panel image thumb imposed on top of the folder right?

All I do to get the one I want to display as a single thumb imposed on the folder icon is to put the photo of interest in that folder and rename it folder.jpg.

That's it, no customization at all, no messing with the database file, no touching the .ini file unless perhaps the database needs to be rebuilt in which case I would just delete the .db file. Works consistenly from any XP and Vista machine I try.

7. sacabonos

sacabonos Thread Starter

I am using "customize this folder > choose picture..." option and the photos I have on a share which everyone can access and view. I've tried setting this option from different computers on my network using the administrator's account

I think the solution for this problem may be as follows:
    1. Placing the required pictures in each folder and renaming it to folder.jpg and setting read only permission on it.
    2. Choosing "customize this folder > Restore default" option for each folder from every computer.
    3. Preventing users from changing folder picture or icon by hiding the customize tab from folder properties.

I think this maybe achived through a custom adm file which could be imported to a group policy, but I don't really know how to use those adm files correctly I would be thrilled if some one here nows how to deal with it or could direct me to a better solution.

One question though. If I have "Don't cache thumbnails" option turned on where does windows store those thumbs anyway?

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If you don't have cache thumbs turned on then Windows does not store the thumbs, it has to build the thumbs every time after they are flushed from temporary memory.

The rest sounds workable but on number 3 can't you just tell the other users to leave the customization alone? Make sure you're making or have extra good (more frequent)backups if that sort of semi-anarchy is prevalent on a shared resource.

Good luck, I've tested it in Windows 7 now and it works from there too.

9. sacabonos

sacabonos Thread Starter

Thanks fairnooks for such a helpful suggestion. You don't know how much this folder.jpg tip has helped me.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!