1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fix or Compare GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dymetreus, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dymetreus

Dymetreus Thread Starter

Greetings, I'm new to the forums and I may have mistaken where to place this thread, however from what I saw this seems like the most appropriate. If it isn't, then merely tell me. I would feel terrible for having a bad first impression.

My problem is my GPU. I want everyone to know before hand most of my details comes from a program called "Speedfan". It's been overheating on Skyrim (I've had this problem before once or twice, but it wasn't frequent.) It goes to at /least/ 110C before shutting down. With this program, I was able to speed up my fans, allowing me to play Skyrim freely but on a very short strand. My GPU still heats up to 70-100 (generally 100, but sometimes it stays at 70 for whatever reason) and I feel it shouldn't be going this far even if it does work.

I have two choices here; fix my GPU somehow or find a new GPU. Firstly, I want to know if there's ANYTHING that can help save my GPU. I'll try most if not all suggestions. If there's nothing, I want to know how I can compare my GPU to other's to see if they're better. Remember, you're speaking to someone who knows little about computers, speak as if you were explaining to someone who has yet to touch a computer left alone dally with one.

I appreciate any help on this subject, as if I can't fix my GPU then you shall possibly save me a lot of money. Thanks for future reference.

Edit: I almost forgot, specs!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 940 @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 6135 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 610377 MB, Free - 54145 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0R849J
    Antivirus: Webroot Internet Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

For an HD4600 series GPU that is very hot, I wouldn't recommend stressing it at all as you could damage it, hopefully you haven't already.

Having said that, if you can afford to upgrade that probably wouldn't be a bad idea as that card is fairly low standard. If you did look at upgrading you would probably have to replace the power supply also to ensure it provides enough power for the new card.

Having said all that, if you are happy with your current card we can look at a couple of things to see if we can get the temps down a bit.

1) What is the exact make and model of the PC assuming its a 'big brand' name like HP, Dell, Acer etc?

2) Check inside the case and make sure it is free from dust, pay particular attention to heat sinks and fans. Use canned air to blow the dust out, if you are blowing a fan hold the fan still with one finger so the forced air doesn't over spin it.

3) After cleaning it out (if necessary) with the side panel off power up the PC. Make sure that all the fans are actually spinning, a failed GPU fan would cause it to overheat.

4) What case fans to do you have and which way to they blow the air? Any at the front, top, side of the case etc.

3. Dymetreus

Dymetreus Thread Starter

It's a dell, and has been cleaned very thoroughly. My side panel is off, and has been since the issue. The GPU fan didn't seem to work for awhile, but it does as I speak. I have four fans in total including the GPU fan. Three are close to one another, one in the center blowing towards the case fan behind it, (which is on the back of the computer where plugs go) and one above the two. It's surrounded by the same material as the casing so it's rather hard to see the fan it's self. It also is blowing the air out of the computer on the back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice