Solved Fix Windows 10 Boot Loader

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have an interesting issue with the Windows 10 boot loader. I have an HP computer that was given to me originally running Windows 8, but the O/S had become corrupted. I installed Windows 7 and then ran the Windows 10 upgrade. No problems so far.

I discovered that it had created a dual-boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10. The problem is, Windows 10 is loaded on to the SSD as C:, but the boot loader is on the second drive! I'd like to clean up that drive and get the boot loader living with Windows 10 like it should, I don't want a dual boot. I used MSCONFIG to remove the dual-boot, but DISKPART won't allow me to fix the boot partition on the primary boot drive.

I'd like to simply get Windows 10 booting from the SSD independent of the secondary drive so I can sort out my storage. Of course, I'd also like to be able to create a backup disk image that will be all inclusive, I don't want to be missing my bootloader! :)

Why not take the simplest path and remove the old HD from the machine, leaving just the SSD and re-install Win 10?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, that is obviously my fallback position, but I've done some hours of customization and program loading, so it it were easier to fix it, that would be the path I'd take.

crjdriver

Good luck. I am leaving for work in the early morning so I will be out of touch for a while.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the suggesting, I'll give it a look. It would be cool to fix it without starting over. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That didn't work. Apparently, the real issue is there isn't room for the boot partition, I may have to follow the earlier suggestion and just start over.

crjdriver

If there is not room, one last suggestion. Boot with a linux live disk and use gparted to resize and move the existing partitions. Once done, you can create the vfat partition for the boot loader. Linux mint live has gparted so I would give that distro a shot OR use the gparted live distro;
http://gparted.org/livecd.php

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I bit the bullet and just nuked everything and started from scratch. I put only the SSD in for the installation, no chance they stuck any partitions on another disk. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I could have saved time doing this several hours of work ago. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online