1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fix xp hdd in external drive caddy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andywit, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andywit

andywit Thread Starter

Hi
    Windows XP, probably Home version, would not boot into either safe or normal modes. Used live media to check condition of the hdd and also removed a couple of Trojans again using a live bootable anti virus disk.

Since then opted to use the Recovery console and attempted to "fixboot c:" but oops now cant even use the recovery console. The issue is "c:\windows\system32\config\system" file corruption. Maybe it is simply a question of copying files to ****.old or .bak and recreating them but from which location?

Because the recovery console will now not work I removed the hdd and loaded it into an external caddy and can now see its BOOT BACKUP & RECOVERY partitions with all of the directories; although the backup partition is pretty much blank :), and the recovery partition has stuff but nothing obvious to attempt

The question is what to do I do to try to make this hard drive bootable again :)

Any suggestions gratefully received. TIA

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Got the Operating Disc Full version?

3. andywit

andywit Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've got an XP PRO disk (GRTMPFPP_EN) with SP3 slipstreamed , but cant be sure that the hdd, in question, is loaded with Pro as opposed to Home; assuming that there is a significant difference between the two. Also got XP Home with SP3 but its from Dell for my netbook not the Medion tower PC in question. I might be able to get my hands on the original disk though :) What do you have in mind?

4. Megabite

Megabite

Does this PC have a recovery partition.......sounds tho you need to do a fresh install........

5. andywit

andywit Thread Starter

Thanks for your help and advice, I can feel a complete reinstall coming on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice