1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Fixed Disk Errors"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jenny Shyne, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jenny Shyne

Jenny Shyne Thread Starter

I am trying to get an old HP Pavlion 5030 with WIN95 to perform as well as possible..I am getting tons of unreadable cluster errors when I run scandisk. Even though I am running it in DOS mode, it still takes about 15 hours to complete a scan. I also used a
    program called "Tuff Test Lite" to test the hardware. Everything passed except the "Fixed Disk" area which also had hundreds of errors. They showed them as error code F010, but with no explanation. It may be time for a new hard drive, but I still wonder, since I do not get any errors running programs, playing games, or starting or shutting down. The repair shop the I use has a used 1. 3 GB drive that scanned with no errors that I can pick up for $10. He said that should work on my system which currently has 848 KB. But a friend told me that HP does some unique things to their OSs and that the new HD might not be
    recognized by BIOS. I am willing to try replacing HD if I have to. Any suggestion of what I might try next?

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

It sounds like the hard drive is going bad. If you know the manufacturer of the hard drive you can go to their web site and download their hard drive diagnostics. If the disk tests out bad I woiuld try the $10 hard drive.

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Yes,that hard-drive is going to fail you soon.It sounds like the surface has started to corrode,it happens with age.
    Scan disk and defraging moves the data around to usable portions of the drive,so you wouldn't neccesarily see errors in your programs,but the usable disk space is getting smaller and smaller all the time.

But I wouldn't pay $10 for a used 1.3gig drive (I give those away).Go to eBay for a much better bargain on a new,or used drive.I just paid $14 for a WD 10gig/7200rpm/33/66/100.Granted the shipping was $10,but that is still a much better deal than you are looking at.

4. mobo

mobo

Once they start which yours has, they get worse even faster...For $10.00 you can't go wrong..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice