1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fixing broken laptop latch.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave Perry, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dave Perry

Dave Perry Thread Starter

I was kind enough to catch the cord of my headphones with my leg and drag my IBM T20 notebook off the table, which resulted in a broken lid/screen latch. Luckily everything else survived okay.

I bought this used and it's pretty old anyway so there's no warranty.

Any ideas about fixing it? Anyone ever removed one of these or taken apart the lid/screen of their notebook? If I glue it, I'd like to at least get it out of there to make it easier to work with.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dave

2. winbob

winbob

Aha, use number 4,768,598,731 for Duct Tape! ;) :p :rolleyes:

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've taken a number of laptops apart, but each one is somewhat unique. The ability to repair the latch would depend on exactly what is broken and how.

4. Dave Perry

Yea, I suppose I could just duct tape it shut when I travel. :D (y)

5. Dave Perry

Have you found that odds and ends parts like this tend to be available for repair purposes (if I wanted to replace it rather than glue it)? I understand I would have to see specifically in my case, but I was curious about your experience.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What I normally do for repairs of this sort is to drill a couple of really small holes in the parts, and then use wire and epoxy to repair them. The wire is kinda' like rebar in concrete, it adds strength to the final fix. :)

As far as parts being available, not unless you get lucky as a rule. I have a client that uses a bunch of the same kind of Compaq laptop, and they've managed to totally kill a couple of them. I keep them in my closet for spare parts, they've been very useful a number of times.

For something that just drops onto my workbench, I just try to work with what's there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340277