fixing download speed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

visionmaster

hi,

I recently downloaded a file using hotfile.com , and it seems to have adjusted my download speed... I thought this problem would be fixed automatically after the download finished, but now downloading has become super slow , from 100 bytes per second, to about 25... Is it possible to restore the original download speed once again, if so how?

thank you

If something changed after downloading from that site, it is probably more likely due to an infection that was carried by the download than anything else.

visionmaster

Thank you Elvandil for your reply...

I tried to scan, and always scan when a download finishes, but there seems to be nothing wrong.. it is just a setting that they changed inorder to limit the download speed, but cant seem to find anything that works.. I tried many programs that speed the pc, but nothing happens... and i do not know enough about settings in the registry to try to fiddle around with it.
thanks once again

Was there any add-on or program that you had to install at the site?
If it was, see if you can uninstall it.
You might clear all cookies and temp internet files from your browser and system to
see if that helps.

visionmaster

hey Augie65 thanks for answering and the question... no, there was no add on or any other type of program. I cleared all the cookies , and emptied everything out... but same result...
I believe it has to do with something in the registry.. I tried several registry cleaners, but they mostly do the regular things like removing entries that are empty cause a file was moved and the like... nothing really fantastic about that.
As for internet boosters and the like, I have not seen that they "actually" improve the net! It has to do with tcp and its settings i believe.

Thanks for the advice, and i definitely agree with what you say:"Never argue with an idiot!":)

visionmaster

Thanks Augie65 Ill give it a try and tell you how it went tomorrow..
Thanks again for your help

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
"v- - -": "I tried several registry cleaners, but they mostly do the regular things like removing entries that are empty cause a file was moved and the like... nothing really fantastic about that."

That was not a good idea! See below.

{redoak}

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG:

The main reason they are apt to cause problems is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work, and, in some cases, a PC that will no longer boot.

There are no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.

And, to repeat this again, they make no difference in the machine's performance because they are based on a false premise about how the registry is accessed. Unused entries do not slow it down.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I am unable to cite and give credit to the authors.

{redoak}

Another reference: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

visionmaster

Ok back again with the results of tcp optimizer... not much of a difference here.. I read the online help it offered, and followed it step by step and restarted, for small program downloads its not a problem, but anything over 30mb its back to the same problem... Thanks Augie65 once again

visionmaster

Thanks Redoak but unfortunately I had already used the registry cleaners, now I am thinking of removing these types of "hyped up" programs all together, but that is a secondary problem.. Back to the inital problem of getting back up to speed I am trying to contact the site for help, no response yet...If I do get a response and one that actually works, I will post it here and every other forum I can find to help others... And you have given me the idea of contacting Microsoft to see if they can help...
thanks again

Besides the damage done already by registry cleaners, you might want to avoid any further damage to the connection settings by using the above-linked "TCPOptimizer". That tool was most appropriate for Windows 98 (as are almost all the "connection optimizers" out there - unchanged from their Win98 versions) and changes many settings that do not even exist in the NT family. It may also disable other connection functions, like automatic discovery, so I would definitely avoid it unless you want to try maintaining all your connection settings in the registry manually, with the hope that damage has not been too severe. The setttings in that thing are not even valid for modern broadband systems, anyway.

Edit. I see now that I am too late. At least System Restore can replace the registry and get your TCP/IP and Winsock settings back. Unfortunately, even though that program has the option to restore the original settings, the settings that it "restores" do not even exist in XP, Vista, or 7, so it still ends up leaving a lot in the registry that shouldn't be there at all and may have unexpected results, like connection problems, later on. It would be especially bad if it were a laptop and you had to manually change each of those settings every time you changed your connection while travelling since the automatic settings are now gone.

visionmaster

Thanks Elvandil for that comment.... I hope no more damage was done.... but once again too late unfortunately...so far the only solution I can come up with is to wait till i have a new computer... seems the only way it will be solved , with hopes that the site will answer me back with a solution....
thanks once again

visionmaster

Thanks again Elvandil for the update... too late, but it is not a laptop, so far I can connect alright, and have managed a download or two {with the same conditions} I just hope it doesn't go downhill from here.. I was planning on buying a new computer, but not this soon :( any further help will be greatly appreciated though.
Thanks again

visionmaster,
I just wanted to comment that I would not have suggested the optimizer if I hadn't used it myself with no ill effect to my windows xp.
Elvandil has a right to his opinion and I have mine. I will not argue the point.

visionmaster

I realize that different people have different experiences, even with the same product.....I thank all who tried to help, but still have not found the right remedy for the problem.. so its ok, do not worry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online