1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fixing Internet Connectivity problems (ideas?)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by phillyphil, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phillyphil

phillyphil Thread Starter

Hi all,

Since I'm seeing a lot of this these days as a computer technician, I'm wondering if there are any solutions I can try to fix internet connectivity problems on customers' computers. What I mean is this; lots of times I get calls from customers who say their computer is running just fine, but can't connect to the internet, even though they used to be able to. Doesn't seem to matter if it's XP or 98, these customers lose their connectivity, and even though I may scan for viruses and spyware/adware (and remove those references, if present) I still will not be able to connect to the internet. This can be with either high-speed or dialup connections. Any tips on how to resolve this issue without forcing the customer to go through the pain of a clean install and losing their original data? My guess is that the internet connectivity itself can be reinstalled, but I'm not sure how to do this, other than doing an overinstall of said OS.

Thanks,

phillyphil

2. BillC

BillC

Try telling them to unplug their modem from the power socket for about 30 seconds or so, then plug it back in. See if thet works.

BTW, the same is true with a router. :)

3. Jae

Jae

Actually, I went through the same problem awhile back. I could use the internet until I viewed certain pages such as AJC.com, Delta.com, a fitness board I moderate on, and a few others.

I would be disconnected and not able to connect again until I had powered my machine off and then powered it back on again.

As long as I did not visit these pages, I could leave my machine running around the clock, actively connected, for days.

Not sure why it happened, but once I replaced the machine, I had no more probs. I was using a Dell P4, XP and bellsouth DSL.

I don't think you should replace your machine, but whatever the reason was, it was directly related to my machine and those webpages for some reason.

4. phillyphil

phillyphil Thread Starter

Guess I need to clarify this a bit; these situations aren't hardware related, as the modems, routers, etc. have always checked out fine; instead, lots of times the 'puters are loaded with spyware/adware and/or viruses (but not always, can be firewall-related). My question is can just the networking portion of 98, 98 SE, 2000 or XP be reinstalled without doing a complete reinstall of Windows itself? Hope I've explained myself a little better here...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice