1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fixmbr problem - xp won't load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by manuleka, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manuleka

manuleka Thread Starter

i've had linux ubuntu and xp dual boot with grub bootloader... now i want to remove all linux and its ext partitions for space

so i restarted pc with xp-sp2 disk, through recovery i typed fixmbr and things seem to work fine.. when i reboot i get message

Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press key

help please

2. fodelement

fodelement

When you installed windows again, did you format all the partitions, to get one unallocated partition? If so you should be having no issues at all. If you have more then one partition, the wrong partition could be set to active. If their is nothing on the computer you need, then just make sure all the partitions are gone.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

fodelement
    Has I think given you the reason it did not work OR the reason is as below

When you ran FixMbr - did you receive any warning regarding no standard partition tables.
    FIXMBR

fixmbr device name
    Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or if a hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create inaccessible partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:fixmbr \device\harddisk2
    If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before it rewrites the MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers.

I would now go back to recovery console and run Fixboot ie: fixboot c:
    FIXBOOT

fixboot drive name:
    Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default setting, which writes to the system boot partition. The fixboot command is supported only on x86-based computers.

If that DOES NOT see this guide
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
    I would then in Recovery Console run "chkdsk C: /p"

IF THAT DOES NOT WORK go back to the guide
    and establish using
    Bootcfg /scan
    which windows installations are detected and then go from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice