1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash bios

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by markeydsl, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markeydsl

markeydsl Banned Thread Starter

I am wondering if any one might know where I can find a flash bios update/upgrade for a Trigem motherboard?

I have an emachine, and at one time before emachine became part of another company, they offered free downloads of the flash bios, upgrades etc. Now I would like to update the bios, so that the computer works better, with the new stuff I have, but have no idea where I would find these downloads.

Thank you

Markey

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I found a TriGem website: http://www.trigem.co.kr that is Korean. Their English link doesn't work though, so if you don't read Korean it may not help much.

You should not update a BIOS unless there is some compelling reason to do so. Latest and greatest is not necessarily a good thing.

3. markeydsl

sorry, I don't read korean. do you? if so. I am trying to find the bios upgrade for my computer because I want it to work nicely with windows XP. right now the bios gets along with XP, but I cannot say that they work well together.

Thank you for the information, sorry I can't read it.

markey

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A BIOS upgrade will not make your computer "get along with XP" better. A BIOS is independent of the operating system.

5. markeydsl

so your saying that having the number lock come on, that having the computer go into hibernate or standby, as well as some other issues are not tied to the bios? I think you might be mistaken. even I know that much.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I probably will be accused of being a know-it-all, but:

There are some cases where a BIOS update is neccessary, but not too often, here is one example:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5330486.html

The updated BIOS is needed by the motherboard but also> to run XP Service Pack 2. It pays to check with the manufacturer's support site to see if anything in an updated BIOS willbe useful, if you are considering making hardware changes like installing a lot more RAM, because there is often a motherboard slot limitation on the amount, and the updated BIOS will work comfortably with the larger amount...that's just one more example.

I've had to update BIOS on a few machines for that same reason or another but the update was required, not just done to have the latest thing.

Installing a faster CPU, and today's huge hard drives, is another>> some older BIOSes will not work correctly, and an updated BIOS will help you.

All that said it is pretty much not a do it just to do it thing, and flashing a BIOS wrongly or having a power outage at the wrong time will result in a non-working computer, until you can find out how to fix it!

I don't reccommend it a lot but, truthfully, there are some cases where you have to. It's a job for those who are sure of what they are doing, and can read and understand the entire process, including using floppy diskettes, or can burn the flash update correctly onto a CD, etc....

Some manufacturers, have the BIOS updates delivered online and install automatically, you dont have to look up the correct download, put it on a diskette, and boot the computer and use DOS or command line at all.

These days, it's becoming a lot less common to do, unless you are into overclocking which is a hobby all to itself and the folks that go that route often are replacing burned out hardware, they do it just to monkey around and see who can get up to what speed, and set benchmark records....all in all, not a good way to play,but very interesting if you have spare parts.

So, sometimes BIOS updates are to fix problems found after the motherboards are on the market and they correct those problems....

It's not usually to just run XP though!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice