1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash Comes To the iPad Via RipCode

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by Mumbodog, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

2. oksteve

oksteve

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

Stevo's control freak ideas are going to hurt Apple in the long run, get over it Stevo.

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I think the thread title is a bit misleading. Flash video is viewable using the RipCode app, not "Flash" object support. This is much different than enabling "Flash" functionality on the iPad.

That not withstanding, I don't see why Apple would have a problem with this app. It simply enables video playback on one of their devices and in a reasonable manner. Has Apple commented on this at all?

Peace...

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

I wish I could get that in Windows : -)

I think Steve Jobs has already said what he thinks of Flash. See post #2

6. tomdkat

Actually, you can with Firefox. There is an extension you can use for this. I use it frequently. :)

I read that post and the article and I don't think that article applies.

If Adobe uses (or used) one of Apple's "approved" development tools/environments to produce the iPhone code, I don't get an indication (from the article mentioned above) that Apple would object to it.

Adobe can certainly afford whatever tools Apple deems "worthy" of developing apps for its mobile devices.

So, my question stands: has Apple commented on this at all? Again, I don't see why Apple would have an issue with video being displayed on the iPad.

Peace...

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

It is well known Jobs is against any type of flash on the Ipad. Lawsuits should start flying this summer.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

9. tomdkat

I don't see why since the Flash player serves as a viewer of the video embedded on the site. This is why it's important to keep the RipCode app in proper context. The RipCode app does not enable Flash functionality, it simply transcodes video and presents that video (which is the content) in a format the iPad natively supports.

This won't apply to websites that use Flash objects for navigation menus and it won't allow people to update their Facebook Zoo or anything like that.

RipCode is not bring "Flash" to the iPad, at least not based on the description of their app on their website.

Peace...

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

Tom, you are nit picking.

11. tomdkat

I'm not nit picking. There is a VAST difference between "Flash" support and "Flash video" support. Just like how "Java" isn't the same thing as "JavaScript". The RipCode app handles "Flash video" only. If Apple has issues with "Flash" support on their mobile devices, that's fine and I think the RipCode app doesn't violate that. Apple might think otherwise but that has yet to be determined.

What part of that is 'nitpicking'? It's more like "apples and oranges" to me.

Peace...

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

Apple's HAL 2010

[​IMG]

13. burntreality

burntreality

LMAO Mumbodog, that picture made me laugh pretty hard. Thanks for the laugh!

14. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

How to print from an iPad

[​IMG]

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice