1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash Drive broken, recovering files via word?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by buckeyegurl, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckeyegurl

buckeyegurl Thread Starter

Long story short, I bumped my flash drive, it appears slightly bent but was no longer recognized in the computer. I had multiple places look at it and all said nothing is physically wrong with it. I found one place that said they could help me recover the files for a fee of $750. I have files application files saved on this that I was working on for medical school, the most important one, I lost about two essays, so I'm not sure how much I want to pay to recover these.

I found these files on my computer but they are all under the usb drive so when I pull them up, it says device not recognized. Is there any way parts of them have been saved in some form on my computer that I could recover?

I'm guessing not but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Also if anyone knows a data recovery place that doesn't charge so much money that would be great.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Here's what I would do. Proceed at your own risk! The jack being 'slightly bent' has probably separated a solder joint that connects the chip (what ever is in there) from the jack. If you know a tech who 'solders' he can 'bust' it open, put a drop of solder on the break (or make a jumper), connect the device and get the data off, then thow it away...Not really a $750 job in my opinion.

Another option is to get a USB to USB connector cable, connect your device to the cable. Now start bending the jack on the device ever so slightly trying to make the broken joint make a connection. After each adustment plug the other end of the cable into the PC and see if it recoginizes. If not recognized, disconnect from the PC and try again.

You want to use the cable because the bending of the jack may damage the the USB connector on the PC and you don't want introduce a new issue. I've actually used this technique and once we had to hold the drive in place manually to keep the connection (may require more than two hands).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice