Flash drive hard drive question...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

loserOlimbs

A buddy of mine and I were talking about performance and the future of storage device, when we started wondering why Flash drives aren't used as hard drives?
NV-RAM is dependable, why isn't it finding its way into every PC to replace the magnetic platter approach?

We aren't electronic engineers of course, but we can only imagine it comes from the cost of putting a 500gig flash drive into a PC, but if the device can take up the space of a 3.5" HD, would cost still be such a problem? Our other thought was heat, but if a 10,000 RPM drive doesn't overheat, why would a flash drive?

Any input is of course appreciated, hope noone loses sleep on this! Or maybe someone knows the answer already.

PS, I do remember hearing Samsung is going to start production of a very lare thumb drive, 16gig I think, so this just adds to the problem, if the little keychain can hold 16+ gigs, why isn't there a flash hard drive?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The other issue is FLASH is much slower to write than a hard disk, even the fastest FLASH memory. Coupled with the limited write cycles and the high cost of a 250gig FLASH drive, and I doubt you'll see that as a hard disk replacement any time soon.

loserOlimbs

Again, this only makes me wonder, if the life is so short, why have NV-RAM in servers?

Speed I can see, but only as a hurdle, with the right coding and assembling I can see a flash drive beigh faster then the old spindle approach.

As for cost, once the technology is out and widely used the prices would drop.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Where do you see NV-RAM in servers. Also note, the term "non-volatile RAM" may well refer to battery backed random access memory, which has no speed or write life limitations. Also, if the use the memory is put to is mostly read/only, the write limitations wouldn't be significant.

You need to match the technology to the problem you're solving.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, I see specialty markets using them long before they become mainstream hard disk replacements. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online