1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash Drive Not Detected; Important Data to Recover ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katiee, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katiee

katiee Thread Starter

All of my Quickbooks data is located on my Sandisk Cruzer 4GB Flash Drive. Today, I went to open a Quickbooks backup saved on the drive and it was not illuminated. I unplugged it then plugged it back in several times, to no avail. I used the Troubleshooter on Sandisk's website and nothing seemed to help. I can't detect the Flash drive anywhere on my computer. It is important that I recover the data from the drive, as my Quickbooks depends on it. What should I do ?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried connecting the flash drive to a different computer to rule out t the USB Ports as the problem?

3. katiee

katiee Thread Starter

Yes, it doesn't work on my other laptop either:/

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There's one called PhotoRec; but, it's good for all types of data, not just photos.

Flash memory consists of two components, the memory chip and the controller. When the flash memory isn't recognized at all, it usually means the controller is kaput. If you try it on another system without result and PhotoRec is no help, your flash memory is probably toast. Just hope the manufacturer has a recovery service.

Data you have only one copy of is data you don't intend to keep. For future reference, data storage devices/media can ALL be placed into two categories:
    • Failed
    • Will fail

5. djayusevlademir

djayusevlademir

Are you using some kind of a usb extension? its an extended usb cable that is connected to your pc and you can just plug in your device in its other end. If yes try not to use it and plug your device directly to your pc as some usb cable extension can be the cause of your pc not detecting your device. If not my only advice, dont use external data storage for baking up important files. Dvds or Cds are much better but make sure you burn more than one backup

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

You can try this since it worked for me and a couple of my customers that had the same problem.

Squeeze the drive hard right in the middle pressing the two sides together and keep it squeezed when you plug it in to a USB port. If the drive is recognized and you can see the files, remove it safely and put a rubber band tightly around the middle of the drive. It may work long enough for you to retrieve your data.

I did this to an old Lexar drive I have and after 4 or 5 years it is still working with the rubber band.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/998303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice