1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash Drive Not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jpalazza, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpalazza

jpalazza Thread Starter

I have an 8GB Lexar USB flash drive that is no longer working properly....or at all. When I put it into the USB port, my computer does its usual dinging noises as it recognizes new hardware, but instead of the flash drive files opening or "lexar" appearing as an option among my drives, my computer shows a faded icon that just says "USB Drive". When I try to click on it, it says "please insert a disk into Drive E" or something to that effect. I can't run any scans on it or get my computer to acknowledge that there is anything at all on the flash drive- or that the flash drive is even there besides the dinging noises and the faded icon.
    The light on the flash drive is no longer blinking either.
    I am using windows 10. I have tried to repair the drive and I have tried a handful of other easy fixes, but with no success. Honestly, I don't care about the flash drive, but I have my thesis on it, so I really really need the files.

Any suggestions on ways to get my files off of the drive or how to get my computer to recognize it or something would be greatly appreciated.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try using another USB port.

3. jpalazza

jpalazza Thread Starter

Already tried numerous ports on numerous computers, both PC and MACS

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

When you insert the USB stick, does it get a drive letter ? If so, open a command prompt and do a 'chkdsk <YourDriveLetter>: /f /r

5. jpalazza

jpalazza Thread Starter

It does give me a drive letter, so I tried checking the disk. It said it could not be completed because it "cannot open volume for direct access". =/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice