1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash drive performance issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phloxx, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phloxx

phloxx Thread Starter

Hello. I am having some weird performance issues with my new 8gb Kingston DT G3. First time I plugged it in my netbook and ran a benchmark, results were 16mb/s read, 9 mb/s write. I tried copying a 3 gb mkv file and transfer speed was 9.5 mb/s as benchmark suggested. After a while I needed to copy something from my desktop but to my surprise, transfer speed maxed at 4.5 mb/s there, I was curious so I ran another benchmark, this time on my desktop, and results were 23 mb/s read, 4 mb/s write this time. I tried troubleshooting with no luck and the weird thing is, write speeds are kind of unstable on my netbook. So far I've tried; - both Fat32 and NTFS with different cluster sizes. - Switched to Better Performance from Quick Removal - realigned the partition (AS SSD reported bad alignment so I thought it was worth a shot) - Plugging the drive to different usb ports I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me with this :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you post the specs on the desktop? Different USB controllers offer different performance.

3. phloxx

phloxx Thread Starter

Yeah I forgot about all that :)

Desktop is pretty old; amd athlon 64 3500+ on msi k8n motherboard running Xp sp3. With a different usb stick (some old 4gb sandisk) I can transfer @ 12-13mb/s and benchmark supports this finding.

My netbook is Lenovo S205 w/ Amd E-350 and 2gb ram running Win 7 starter (32 bit)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the stick always work fast on the netbook?

I find data transfers to be faster on newer computers in general, and faster with Windows 7 as well.

This could just be compatibility issue between the nVidia chipset and that particular USB stick if other sticks work faster. NForce3/4 motherboards had USB bugs.

Download these and see if it makes a difference: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/1172

Also note that large single files will transfer faster then multiple small files.

5. phloxx

phloxx Thread Starter

Write speed on netbook for kingston drive is down to 4.5 mb/s. This is from crystaldiskmark sequential write benchmark for a 1000mb file. I've ran it 3 times for each usb port, same results. (16mb/s read, 4.5 mb/s write) desktop gives the same write result with better read (23-24 mb/s)
    I will do another test with those drivers and report back. Do you have suggestions about the netbook?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, so the stick has slowed down on both? If so then its the stick at issue.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

We're talking about a $10 commodity item here. Running benchmarking utilities over and over isn't doing the device any favors in the overall longevity department. If it's not reliable and is giving errors, toss it and buy a new one. If you want high-performance or durability, you're going to need to spend a bit more.

8. phloxx

phloxx Thread Starter

I am very well aware of that :) the reason I spent time to fix this is because I thought it might be computer related, which would affect every external drive I would buy in the future. I'll probably buy a faster drive soon and find out anyway. Thanks for all the responses.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Programs that access or monitor drives can also slow them down. If you have any drive-monitoring programs installed, or even a third-party defragger that monitors fragmentation levels, those will also slow things down.

One way to find out if anything else is accessing the drive is to see if any files are open on that drive.

OpenedFilesView

Having the Recycle Bin configured to save files on a secondary drive will also slow down transfers since explorer needs to monitor the Bin to show those files in all the other drives' Recycle Bins, too.

Setting the drive for high performance in Device Manager is likely to slow down benchmarks, too. The cache holds data that is frequently accessed so if you access uncached data, the data is first loaded to the drive's buffer and then to the machine. It is loaded dirctly if quick removal is set.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice