Flash Drive Security...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vookster82

Just curious if anyone has a suggestion for securing a USB flash drive. Im just looking for something that asks for a password when its first plugged in or trying to be initially accessed. I dont like that cruzerlock software that comes on sandisk flash drives....too complicated for something so simple. Im NOT looking for super encryption and compression. I just want something to were if the average person picks it up and tried to use it it asks for a PW and they say F it.

Thanks for reading. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
If the drive is formatted FAT your only option is going to be encryption. I always recommend axcrypt.

vookster82

Yeah i reformatted it as soon as i got it to FAT32 from FAT...if that makes much of a difference.. But with axcrypt it will only work on the computers that the axcryptprogy is installed on right? B/c i know the one progy "lockngo" is toally stand alone on the flash drive and does not need to be instealled on the OS....or am i missing something with axcrypt?

Thanks for the suggestion...ill mess around with it some more.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Personally, I'd have left it at FAT, it wastes less of the limited capacity of the drive.

vookster82

Well i looked quite a bit (30 min) and couldnt find anything pertaining to the pros and cons of using FAT vs FAT32, especially on a flash drive. It always brings up NTFS vs FAT32 and FAT which im already fairly knowledgable about already...but the original FAT vs FAT32 , im in the dark about.

Id figure the FAT32 would have a better all around performance as far as read / write goes. Capactiy im not too concernd about...its a 2GB sandisk cruzer mini, :rolleyes: that i got as a gift for fixing someones computer.....multiple times over the last few years. :eek: LOL, id be lucky if i could even use 1/4 of its space

Back to security: I like the axcrypt progy but it doesnt do what im looking to do like the lockngo program does...granted its free compared to $20. With axcrypt i cant universally encrypt and decrypt like i want b/c the progy has to be installed locally on any computer i want to use it on. Granted it comes with the nice decrypt utility for on the fly decryption without having to install anything....it still would leave hanging when i wanted to encrypt the contents back without having to install the main program on the actual OS.

So i guess im still going to keep looking, but the axcrypt program is a definate keeper. Thanks

vookster82

Well, i ended up with the lockngo program i mentioned before. $20 and its standalone on the flashdrive which is awesome and very convienant not having to install any thing on each computer i want to encrypt on.

The full version is only about 520 kb in size (1/2 Mb)...what it does is encrypt and hide all files on the flash drive except for the lockngo exe file....click on it and put in the password and it decrypts all files. Thats probably the only downside is that it works for the whole drive and not selected files....but thats exactly what i was looking for...no selecting files or dragging or dropping...just put in a PW and boom...5 secs later i got 700mb of encrypted or decrypted data...and if you unplug the flash drive without encrypting a pop up shows up and reminds you that you did not encrypt the data before you unplugged...a nice reminder that goes away after 25 seconds or closing it out.

It only 128 bit AES....but thats all i wanted was somethng that asked for a password and offered a little security incase it gets lost or stolen.

anyone looking for something like this try http://www.keynesis.com/products/ for the lockngo product. So far no problems with it, ill post otherwise if something occurs.
Please note if buying lockngo you must download both the trial and full version (if you buy it) DIRECTLY to your flash drive or external harddrive that you want to use it on. Dont download it to your regular harddrive and copy and paste it to your flash drive or external harddrive....IT WONT WORK!!! Hope this helps someone b/c it drove me nuts :eek:

As always, a special thanks to JW and Squashman (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online