1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash drive souns with no flash drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonyacardo, Oct 26, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

My computer keeps making the sound of a USB being inserted into it, but nothing has been put in.

It will do it for a few times in row, than stop for awhile, than start making that little "bumping" sound of the USB being inserted again.

Any ideas.

I also get a USB not recognized error buble come up in the lower right corner of my screen.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16330 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 487526 MB, Free - 75704 MB; D: Total - 1430346 MB, Free - 943033 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 935355 MB; G: Total - 7630755 MB, Free - 1847221 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

First try uninstalling Avast. 3rd party antivirus sometimes cause strange incompatibility problems with Win 10.

If that doesn't work, go into BIOS and disable USB. If the BIOS shows more than 1 USB, try disabling one at a time. This should stop the sound. I think something is wrong with the USB component.

3. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I just now noticed that it is causing my screen to flicker on and off and to change the resolution of my screen. It has also caused one of my drives to disconnect. I have a SeaGate 8 TB external that might be causing the problem.

Should I still do the Avast and Bios?

Nevermind. I unplugged the drive's power, the problem persists so I will start on doing what you said.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  4. lunarlander

lunarlander

First unplug the 8 TB external and see if the sound continues. Maybe the external drive is giving problems.

Then if that doesn't stop the sound, uninstall Avast.

Then if it still doesn't stop the sound, go disable USB's one by one in the BIOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice