1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash Drive/Thumb Drive how to enable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aneeliyo, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aneeliyo

Aneeliyo Thread Starter

Greetings to all :)

By mistake i disabled my flasd drive... here is what i did...

at the task bar (the one at the bottom ---start -----) i right clicked the safely remove hardware and selected properties and device usage i disbaled.. since than i cant use this flash drive in this computer.. i can use other flash drive/thumb drive usb drive but the one which i disabled i cant use it and it wont recognise too.

Please help me to fix this problem. when i insert other flash drive/thumb drive my computer detects it but the one which i disabled wont detect. What should i do? :confused:

Highly apreciate your help

AneeLiyo
    Bangkok

2. tech13

tech13

What OS are you using? because on win XP there is no "disable" on the safely remove hardware wizard. one of two things might be happening, either A.) your flash drive is dead or B.) that port got corrupted for that drive so try one of two things

1.) try the flash drive on another USB port or another computer to confirm it is not dead
    2.) if it works on another USB port or another computer its more than likely corruption of the USB drives so I would recommend going into device manager and removing ALL "Universal serial bus controller" items and then reboot computer and it will automatically reinstall all USB drivers for you (this is for windows XP if you have it). if its another OS let me know

3. Aneeliyo

Aneeliyo Thread Starter

tech13 thanks a lot for the advice but i tried what you said but still my computer does not detect the thumb drive and as u said the same thumb drive i can use in the other computers and it works fine and at the same time other thumb driver when i plug in to my computer (the one which does not detect my thumb drive) it detects the other thumb drive. I am using XP professsional edition.

Please help

AneeLiyo
    Bangkok

4. tech13

tech13

hmm well if your using XP PRO, im wondering how it was "disabled" as the safely remove hardware wizard does not give that option to disable the device, only to stop the device so that you can safely remove it. if it works in other computers the drive sounds like its operational, but i have come into contact with issues like this and removing all of the USB drivers in device manager then rebooting SHOULD resolve the issue. I need to know how it was disabled?

5. tech13

tech13

ok, after re-reading your first post (sorry im blind and tired) i know what the issue is. every device that is USB has drivers associated with it, and some usb flash sticks have their own drivers in them so when you plug it in, it works. now, what you did was disable the use of this driver, so we simply have to find out where that driver is in your device manager and re-enable it by going to properties.

6. Aneeliyo

Aneeliyo Thread Starter

yeah thats what i did. how do i find the driver?

7. tech13

tech13

if you right click my computer, go to properties, then select the hardware tab, and click the "device manager" button it brings up all the drivers on your system. it is most likely under "disk drives" near the top as most USB sticks would be listed there, simply right click each one, go to properties and make sure it is ENABLED :)

8. Aneeliyo

Aneeliyo Thread Starter

tech13, i did that but in disk drive i have only 1 listed that is my hard disk thats all cannot find anything else

9. tech13

tech13

is the flash stick plugged in right now? the drive has to be plugged in while you are doing this so it is recognized in device manager

10. Aneeliyo

Aneeliyo Thread Starter

yes it is

11. Aneeliyo

Aneeliyo Thread Starter

its actually ipod from apple

12. tech13

tech13

ok its an iPod, give me a few minutes im gonna check for you :)

13. tech13

tech13

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305136

try that link

"Note: A red "X" appearing next to the iPod's entry in Device Manager indicates this device is disabled. To enable this device, right-click its entry in Device Manager and choose Enable from the shortcut menu."

14. Aneeliyo

Aneeliyo Thread Starter

there is no red "X" appearing and i tried all those under USB storage device all are enabled

15. tech13

tech13

1.) can you locate your ipod in the device manager at all?
    2.) under universal serial bus devices, did you right click each one, uninstall, then reboot your computer? (hint: uninstall them from the bottom up)
    3.) do you get ANY messages when you plug in the device?
    4.) did you try reinstalling the driver for the device?
    5.) after trying all of the above steps, you can right click on universal serial bus devices and scan for hardware changes.

have your device plugged in during steps 1, 3, 5

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/588564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice