flash drive went into washer and drier

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plvness

Hi I have a data stick pro 16gb by centon it was in the pocket of my pants when they went into the washer and drier when I try to use it now it says usb device not recognized is there something I can do or is it now a paperweight thanks for the help

managed

Allan
It's probably still got water inside it, I would leave it in a warm place for several days then see if it will work.

I would try putting it in a bowl of white rice overnight. The rice acts as a desiccant and absorbs the water. This is what you do when you drop a cell phone in a puddle of water, so I can bet the same rules apply to a flash drive. It's important not to use anything like a hairdryer or putting it in the sun, as that can overheat the sensitive electronics inside:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

DoubleHelix

Banned
The heat in the dryer almost definitely got rid of all the water from the washer -- and destroyed the circuitry.

managed

Allan
I would try putting it in a bowl of white rice overnight. The rice acts as a desiccant and absorbs the water. This is what you do when you drop a cell phone in a puddle of water, so I can bet the same rules apply to a flash drive. It's important not to use anything like a hairdryer or putting it in the sun, as that can overheat the sensitive electronics inside:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047
I'm guessing you're not from the UK ! ;)

{ "Palm Beach County, FL" Ok, I'm not very observant, I blame the shivering ! }

I'm guessing you're not from the UK ! ;)

{ "Palm Beach County, FL" Ok, I'm not very observant, I blame the shivering ! }
Oops, sometimes I forget it's snowing in most of the world :p Right now it's 87 degrees outside where I am :cool:

Not completely true.
I've had flash drives survive the washing machine, and all my keyboards, for years have been through the dishwasher. Washing with water has been an accepted practice for cleaning electronic components for years.
Water + Electronic components don't mix :S

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online