1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

flash drive went into washer and drier

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plvness, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

Hi I have a data stick pro 16gb by centon it was in the pocket of my pants when they went into the washer and drier when I try to use it now it says usb device not recognized is there something I can do or is it now a paperweight thanks for the help

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's probably still got water inside it, I would leave it in a warm place for several days then see if it will work.

3. janikPilot

janikPilot

I would try putting it in a bowl of white rice overnight. The rice acts as a desiccant and absorbs the water. This is what you do when you drop a cell phone in a puddle of water, so I can bet the same rules apply to a flash drive. It's important not to use anything like a hairdryer or putting it in the sun, as that can overheat the sensitive electronics inside:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The heat in the dryer almost definitely got rid of all the water from the washer -- and destroyed the circuitry.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's dead. Good thing you made those backups.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm guessing you're not from the UK ! ;)

{ "Palm Beach County, FL" Ok, I'm not very observant, I blame the shivering ! }

7. janikPilot

janikPilot

Oops, sometimes I forget it's snowing in most of the world :p Right now it's 87 degrees outside where I am :cool:

8. Blakebn2011

Blakebn2011

Water + Electronic components don't mix :S

9. Hughv

Hughv

Not completely true.
    I've had flash drives survive the washing machine, and all my keyboards, for years have been through the dishwasher. Washing with water has been an accepted practice for cleaning electronic components for years.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice