1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash drives not showing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alranson, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alranson

alranson Thread Starter

Sorry for lack of fluent tech speak!
    I have a Sony Vaio with Windows XP, it has two USB ports on the side.

I've been trying to save some files onto a 2.0 flash stick. All my smaller flash sticks (the 256mb promotional kind) work fine, and are being read by the USB drivers on my PC. However my bigger capacity ones - 1GB and two brand new Bytestor 4GB and 8GBs, which I really need for this exercise, are not being read by the PC when plugged into either port.

Obviously I have googled this problem as best I could, and looked elsewhere on this forum and followed as much of the advice as I could understand. I have visited the Bytestor website, but it says that downloading drivers is not necessary and there are thus none available. I have also tried checking Windows updates - all it did was tell me to upload a Security update which has completely wiped out most of my desktop shortcuts, my uTorrent and all my Firefox bookmarks (and there may be more stuff wiped that I haven't discovered yet). I also checked on Device Manager to see if the USB hubs and controllers were working, and it claims all are working properly.

Can anyone suggest anything else I could try, in understandable language?

Many thanks
    Al

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Do you know what model number the Vaio is? Sometimes a manufacturer will bring out some new driver updates to fix issues with hardware such as USB ports.

My motherboard company bought out one that fixed an issue with auto run for usb devices. Could you post the model number usually on the top near the power button by the screen or on the bottom somewhere.

It may say.

M/N: (number)
    Model: (Number)
    or something else with some numbers and letters.

3. alranson

alranson Thread Starter

OK - it's PCG 7T1L

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

5. alranson

alranson Thread Starter

hi -thanks for the advice - what I did in the end is send the new Bytestor drives back to Amazon, who sent me replacements overnight, and amazingly enough, the new new ones work fine.. so not a software problem, but a hardware one!

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

fair enough then. I was just going on what I did to fix my computer when I had that problem

7. alranson

alranson Thread Starter

oh it was v helpful advice - as a result I'm looking on the Sony website anyway to update the drivers - it's just that it turns out the sticks themselves were faulty.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice