1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hector7, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hector7

hector7 Thread Starter

After re-formatting and reinstalling Windows XP home, I have had to reinstall programs I have used in the past; however, when trying to download Macromedia flash, nothing happens. No error messages, just a red cross where the download completed picture should appear. I think it might be something to do with my XP firewall setings, but am not sure.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

It's possible, yes.

It could be due to your ActiveX settings.

From Macromedia's site:
    Although your browser security settings should be chosen by you or your system Administrator, the 'Medium: Default Level' will allow you to view Macromedia Flash content. For any Custom Level, ensure that both "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" are not disabled. (Enable or Prompt will work).

To view your Security Level do the following:

Open Internet Explorer.
    Choose Tools then Internet Options.
    Select the Security tab.
    Choose Internet.
    Ensure that "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" are not disabled.
    If you are having trouble installing make certain that your Internet Explorer security level is not set to High or at a custom level which does not allow viewing of ActiveX controls.

As far as the firewall goes, you will need to ensure that your firewall or utility settings are set to allow ActiveX controls or you will not be able to view Flash movies in Internet Explorer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice