1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

flash memory...how to wipe info from it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jacob3, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacob3

jacob3 Thread Starter

Well idiot me always plugged the jumpdrive through my front usb port and never had a problem.

Last night at work, showed a buddy and thought id try it on the comp there, as i was taking it out he said no, click on the task manager to remove it properly i said naaa it's fine. It was.
    Last night at home, thought id try it and again, plugged it in and removed it no problem.
    This morning plugged it in, but for some reason took it out while it was being loaded and read by the computer.

So it got corrupted, called Sandisk they tried to troubleshoot it and it was fried, they said send it in with proof of purchase and theyll send me a new one.

Asked them they won't try to fix it or anything, just in case, because i do have some personal files and pictures of friends and family on there.
    He said not to worry. I trust Sandisk and it's a very reputable company, but the other part of me says what if someone actually tests it out, gets it working and checks the files, not good.

So is there any way to wipe the memory off of it, outside the computer?
    ie - taking a magnet to it? friends said, it won't work because it's a chip, inside.

the sandisk tech guy walked me thru the process of
    right click my computer > manage > disk management "format" but format wasnt a viable option for the sandisk cruzer mini

Anyone? Anyone?....
    ...thanks in advance... (y) :) (y)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's not magnetic media so how would a magnet work? A sledgehammer would though- and I would suspect to physically damage it would reflect badly on a replacement.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's not accessable via the USB interface, the only option would be to take it apart and put the FLASH chip(S) into a FLASH burner.

If it's that important that you not release the files/pictures, I'd simply smash it and buy a new one, they're pretty inexpensive.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    agreed. A 512Mb is about $40 now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice