1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

flash menu on a vb?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Tact, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I got a question. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about creating this bar (kinda like a menu bar with buttons) in a vbulletin board that shows who is online when they login. at first i was thinking flash because of how it needs to be animated and the icons would fade in or out when someone logs in or out. but i don't think that would be easy when i think about the code required to make flash know when someone logged in the forum. i think animation can be done with java too right? (/me remembers some java games and stuff). maybe that would be easier? o_O

please check the attachement so i can further explain what i'm trying to accomplish.

my friend made it. (it's gonna be his site and forum and everything and i'm trying to help him out with some stuff)

the important part to look at is the top animated part.

what he would like. is that if one member logs in, his icon/avatar will fade in. then when another person logs in. that persons ava/icon fades in. and the same when the person logs out. it fades out. all of this of course, he would also like to auto center for as many people that might be on at a time.

also. he only wants this to work for 30 members and no one else. (so if he has like 100 members, this bar will only react to those 30 assigned) everyone else will just have the regular "who's online" text box normally located at the bottom of vbulletin boards.

is this possible? what do you guys recommend using? can it be done in flash? java? are those even really neccesary? perhaps something as simple as css? php? jscript? i really have no idea personally. i'd love to start somewhere. but i really have no idea.

right now were just trying to figure out how wide we should make the bar. were thinking 900 pixels. and i think we decided on using 40x40 size avatars. the bad thing is it wouldn't fit in that size if all members were logged in at once. (all 30 members) and he doesn't want it any ava's to overlap eachother or create a second line and distort. we had 30x30 pixels planned originally. but were kinda still thinking about it.

right now the trick is knowing what to use. so i can start that part of the research. i already did a little research with flash. it's really hard and i don't think flash is gonna be the answer. i don't know actionscripting or anything. i can only do very basic animations and some buttons. he'd also like the avatars to be clicklable and lead to the users profile so people can pm them. or if it's the user, for him to be able to edit his sig or whatever else he has in his cp.

any tips, thoughts, ideas, advice is GREATLY appreciated. thank you very much for your time.

Attached Files:

2. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

no ideas? i'm thinking about first testing this just with simple images replacing members names. if i can do that, then i'd prolly figure out creating a second copy of the "logged in" table and make it so it only responds to specific members? (that SEEMS logical..)

then i'd only have to worry about creating a fade. i don't know. just throwing something out.

anyone? anything? ;_;

3. MMJ

MMJ Guest

This won't be easy and I don't think possible with flash.

4. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

thank you for your reply. ^^

that's good. see cause now i can try looking at it from a diffrent angle.maybe like javascript or something. I just needed confirmation or opinions from anyone really.

thanks again. I think i'm gonna tacke this from every angle i can think of.

any other help/opinions are greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice