1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash Player Pro Virus/Worm

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by tranch, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

Has anyone had any experience with this? When starting up my Win 8.1 laptop I get a screen telling me my flash player needs to be updated to Flash Player Pro. Very good looking panel and you'd think it was from Adobe.

Not one to just click on an ad like that I went to Adobe's web site and found that, first, flash player is already incorporated in Win 8 and automatically gets updates from Microsoft, and second, there is no such thing as Flash Player pro. A google search turned up a web site that claims it's a worm hacked into the routers, mainly attacking Win 7 machines.

Neither my other laptop or PC, both Win 7 machines, have had any problems. It's the Win 8.1 laptop that's slow to boot and I get the "Flash Player Pro" panel every time and sporadically while using the machine. I never downloaded anything regarding the web site this spam/malware came from. I've run SuperAntiSpyware, AVG and Windows Defender and they turn up nothing but the everyday tracking cookies, etc. which I have removed. The panel still keeps coming up and the laptop is still slow to boot. If it is something in the router itself, how do I get rid of it in there?

After just resolving a problem with my PC and now this, I'm about ready to go back to pencils and paper! :rolleyes: :)

2. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

While nosing around to see if I could find a way to get rid of this stinking pop up I happened on this web site:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/flash-player-pro-virus-removal/#uninstall

I did the reset Internet options to see if that would get rid of it, but it's still there. Their next step to take is using an aftermarket uninstaller, and that's where I stop. I used the Windows uninstall/change and it didn't get rid of it, and I also uninstalled anything that was put on here around the day, I thought, this started.

3. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

I think I got it!

Went to this site; http://malwaretips.com/blogs/flash-player-pro-virus-removal/ followed their directions and ran their virus/malware checkers. Each checker found something the previous one didn't. It's been about 2 hours now and the pop up hasn't appeared again. Hope it stays that way! :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1135760