1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash player registry edits/need for limited users

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by msbatt2, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msbatt2

msbatt2 Thread Starter

I am the systems admin.and I can view flash sites but limited users cannot. I have searched all through microsoft website and can't find how to give read/write access to c:\windows\system32\macromed ,which is what adobe support said I needed to do. I did some more searching on adobe website and found flashplayer technote 19091 where it says to install flash 9.016 (which I did) and it doesn't help, still no flash for limited users. It goes on to say I can manually remove the "kill bit" entry from registry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AxtiveXcompatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} Remove the compatibility flag. Well just removing the compatibility flag didn't work but deleting the whole key did work and my limited users can now view flash sites. I did a system restore to get the key back and sure enough, limited users have no flash with this key in the registry. Do you know if its safe or wise to remove this whole key because just removing the compatibility flag didn't work. I don't know if this key is used for anything other than flash player. Like I said, the key is back in the registry now but I would really like to delete it so my limited users can view flash sites just not sure if I should.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice