1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flash Player

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by trumpetman51, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trumpetman51

trumpetman51 Thread Starter

Hello,

Everytime I try to open as web page that uses Macromedia Flash (or Adobe Flash now) I am notified that the site requires Flash and that I need to download it. I have downloaded it at least 50 times and yet this continues to happen. I have NO idea what to do. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to correct this?

Please help!!

trumpetman

2. BillC

BillC

Are you using a firewall that blocks Privacy or active script?

3. trumpetman51

Hi Bill,

Thanks for answering.

I am NOT using any software firewall at all. I am conected through a DSL modem/router that has NAT firewall and I have never had any problems "firewall wise".

4. BillC

BillC

Hmm. More info will help. Could you use flash at one point and now you can not? Is it on just one site or every site that uses flash? Have you cleaned your browser cache and temp files recently?

Another solution would be to install another browser. I use both Firefox (default) and IE 7 (backup) so I can check one browser against the other for this type problem.

5. trumpetman51

Yes I was able to use FlashPlayer before and now cannot....never had this problem. I almost seems to be linked to update to IE7, but I'm NOT sure of that. I usually clean out my browser cache and temp files REGULARLY!!

I also use Firefox as you have described and I cna't tell you if this happens with FF until I try it out. So, I guess I will do that and then get right back to ya!!

Trumpetman

6. trumpetman51

Okay, I opened the same page in Firefox and the Flash content worked fine. I DID NOT get the screen telling me that I need to install the latest version of Flash.

I don't understand...in IE/ Options/ Manage Add-Ons/ Flash is listed and enabled.

Also, on the General page in IE Options/ Browsing History/ Setting/ View Objects/...Flash is among the installed objects and it is version 9. But, anytime I open a page that uses Flash I get a screen telling me that I need to install the latest version of Flash!

??

trumpetman

7. trumpetman51

Dear Bill, and others...

I went to the Adobe Flash support center and from there I followed the help links that applied to my problem. I ended up UNINSTALLING the FLASH PLAYER, then installing it again. I went back to the website where I had told that I needed to instal Flash and this time that screen did not appear..instead the active content appeared as I believe it should.

At least it appears as though things are okay for now.

Thanks for helping!!

trumpetman

8. BillC

BillC

Thanks for reporting back on that. Uninstall followed by a fresh install can resolve lots of problems and in this case it worked.

9. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Seems to me this is happening to a lot of people lately, including myself and my sister.

I have seen a lot of posts regarding this, but nothing that is curing the problem. Sooner or later, like last week, I will be asked to get flash again.

With me, it didn't start happening until I went to the new "improved" Firefox. I believe that is when it started to happen to my sister as well.

My sister and I both use IE7 and FF2. We both have routers and use limited accounts for browsing.Thats where the similiarities end. I have a Compaq/HP desktop, she has an IBM laptop. I use a lot, she uses rarely. I have XP home, she has pro, both SP2. I do regular computer maintenance, she never does. I have cable, she has bell "high speed." I have all MS updates, she probably does not.

We both also have MS office 2003 professional. Everything is completely legit and neither of us use P2P.

Personally, I just get it when told to do so and hope they eventually fix this (adobe, firefox, IE7).

10. trumpetman51

You mentioned that you reinstall when asked to do so. Well, that didn't work for me. I wouold follw the link to the Download Center, install and the install would be verified at the Adobe site...then I would try to access the original site again and it would tell me that I still "need the latest version of Flash Player. This is a troubling problem to me. You said that you think it maybe has something to do with installin Firefox 2. Well, I used Firefox 2 to see if I had the same problem there (see above posts) and it worked fine on Firefox but not on IE7. GO FIGURE!!!!

All I know is this....I am NOT COMFORTABLE when I cannot explain WHY something like this happens. As I said, mine seems to be working now, but we will see if it continues to do so.

Thanks for posting!!

trumpetman

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice