1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FlashDrive = ExFAT or NTFS ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BearKiller, Feb 16, 2017 at 3:57 AM.

Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

I have read and read and the more I read the more confused I become.
    I have some new 16GB flash-drives that are FAT32; I need these to accept files larger than 4GB.
    It is very doubtful that these will ever be used on anything other than a Windows machine.
    Should I format these ExFAT or NTFS ?

Thanks for reading.

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

NTFS would be my choice.

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

I format all of my 8 GB capacity USB2 thumb drives in NTFS.
    They work fine in all of the 4 operating systems(XP, Vista, 7, 10) that I use.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017 at 9:14 AM
  5. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

6. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

Thanks! everyone.
    I was sort of leaning toward NTFS; however, the permissions thing had me wondering.
    Mostly, these flash-drives/memory-sticks/thumb-drives/what-have-you will be used by the wife loading picture-images onto them for transferring to her various friends/relatives machines, plus sometimes using them to print from at the drug-store kiosk thingie.
    I don't think anything we would ever do would be a security concern; surely no one would be interested in pirating pictures of Aunt Ethel's 85th birthday party.

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

I just had a client who went on an extended trip only to discover that all of the files on her external drive gave her "access denied" errors.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Permissions are a simple fix. FWIW I use a ntfs formatted flash drive on my company tablet [win10] without any issues whatsoever.

9. managed

managed Allan

I would check what file system(s) the drug store printer can work with if that's a real concern.

10. plodr

plodr Liz

Currently we have at least 40 USB sticks of various sizes and different manufacturers in the house. (Currently 8 computers and two tablets too).
    I have never formatted any new stick.

I do format when I wipe a linux live distro off a stick and then to FAT32. I use the sticks between Windows, Android and linux so FAT32 works fine for all those OSes. No need to give myself a headache when a stick works in one device but not another.

I can put a stick with movies or tv programs in the standalone DVD player connected to the kitchen tv and watch programs.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Liz he needs to copy files >4gig. That is why it needs to be formatted ntfs. FAT32 has a file size limit of 4gig.

12. plodr

plodr Liz

Thanks, I missed that. I have lots of large files but nothing over 4GB. In fact, I'd probably use a portable hard drive rather than a stick for files larger than 4GB; better flash memory in external hard drives than on sticks.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185408