1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flashing BIOS using USB for Acer Aspire 5515 W/ Black Screen of Death.*

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dani88, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dani88

Dani88 Thread Starter

Hello. My acer aspire 5515 has the black screen of death. It happened after using the erecovery. Anyway, I've been trying to find specific instructions for my model to flash the bios using a USB. The only tutorials that I've found are mostly for acer aspire one notebooks. I have another laptop that I've been using to download the bios from the acer website...I tried to flash using the instructions from the manual for my 5515 but it's apparent that I'm doing something wrong since my notebook never boots and still has a black screen. Here are the instructions for my notebook:

Steps for BIOS Recovery from USB Storage: Before doing this, prepare the Crisis USB key. The Crisis USB key could be made by executing the Crisis Disk program in another system with Windows XP OS. Follow the steps below: 1.Save ROM file (file name: JAL90x64.fd) to the root directory of USB storage. 2.Plug USB storage into USB port. 3.Press Fn + ESC button then plug in AC. The Power button flashes once. 4.Press Power button to initiate system CRISIS mode. When CRISIS is complete, the system auto restarts with a workable BIOS. 5.Update the latest version BIOS for this machine by regular BIOS flashing process.

Also, I'm confused about how to make my USB(4gb) bootable...is there anything 'special' that i have to do to it first? Do I need to rename the ROM file or keep it as is? Which bios files do I need to copy to my USB? Is there some sort of download such as 'Unetbootin' that I need to use?

As you can see, I'm lost. There's so much information and methods of flashing that I don't know specifically whats best for my model.

Id really appreciate any advice that can bring my notebook back to life. :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What does "erecovery" do? Does it affect the BIOS contents somehow?

3. Dani88

Dani88 Thread Starter

ERecovery is a method of restoring your computer to its factory default settings. A while after the recovery started...my screen stayed black with only the power light on. I really don't know if it corrupted my BIOS...but if I had to guess...id say it did since the recovery was the last thing I did. Prior to the erecovery I had access to safe mode...now there's nothing.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is really nothing that can be done by software to "corrupt" the BIOS contents. BIOS is hardware. It is likely that messing with BIOS will only make the situation worse. If the BIOS had settings that were correct for your machine to run Windows, then it still does. Resetting that will make it harder to determine what the cause of the problem is, provided that the machine doesn't become a useless doorstop, a real possibility.

Why were you doing a recovery in the first place? That reason is likely the same reason that it failed.

5. Dani88

Dani88 Thread Starter

My notebook had the blue screen...I tried using the recovery disc...but it didn't work. That's why I resulted to using the erecovery.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What was the blue screen error? When and where did it occur?

If the error was due to hardware and the recovery fails, you risk losing everything on the drive, including recovery.

Do you have recovery disks if the recovery partition is damaged?

Did you try other boot options, like Safe Mode, Last Good..., and so on?

7. Dani88

Dani88 Thread Starter

The blue screen had a message that read, ' A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer'... It was the result of a virus...while downloading a file my computer shut down and when I started windows...the blue screen message was there. I dont remember the specfic download nor do i know the type of virus. I still have my recovery disc. Also, prior to doing the erecovery I was able to transfer my files to another computer in safe mode.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

How are you sure it was a virus?

If you have a recovery disk, why didn't you use that?

Were you having any other problems with your machine before this happened?

A download containing a virus could not have harmed your machine until the download was complete and program of some sort started to activate the virus.

9. Dani88

Dani88 Thread Starter

It didn't work.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

What does "It didn't work" mean? Did it fail to boot? Did it complete and leave the problem behind? Did error messages pop up? Did it fail to find a hard drive? Did the drive refuse to close?

For lack of any better place to start, you should begin by testing your memory, and then the drive.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    Ariolic Disk Scanner (Checks disk for read errors)
    Manufacturer's Tests
    Victoria for DOS
    Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

11. Dani88

Dani88 Thread Starter

There were virus alerts that popped up that I didn't have prior to the download.. What I mean by 'it didnt work' is that it failed to boot. Before the download etc. I didn't have any problems.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you start the downloaded program?

In any case, the BIOS is not the place to go. Changing hardware when you already know that the problem is software is not going to help and may hurt.

Test your RAM and hard drive.

The message that you quoted is the generic message of all blue screen errors. The useful information is at the bottom where the error number and possibly a file name are mentioned. That information would be very helpful, too.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice