Flashing my SCSI Adapter's BIOS?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

quantass

I own an Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI Host Adapter for my Windows 2000 Pro (SP4) system. From the get go the onboard Host Adapter BIOS has never worked, that is, I've never seen the supposed "BIOS Banner" on PC bootup nor has the "CTRL+A" keys have worked. Because of this I've never been able to get my SCSI HDD to work as a boot disk for my OS. Under Windows 2000 Pro the SCSI HDD and Adapter work fine, as well as under real-mode MSDOS when the Adaptec drivers are started. As far as i know my ECS K7S5A mobo has PCI 2.1 compliant slots and are bus mastered. I've even tried the Adapter within another PC (HP Vectra VL800 P4 system) but still no effect.

I've tried flashing the Adapter BIOS when I first purchased the unit 2+ years ago and it worked fine but all subsequent flashing have never worked, perhaps due to the fact that I've always flashed "WITH" the SCSI HDD attached to the adapter (I think this is a no-no?). Attempting to flash now generates the following error message from the "FLASH4.EXE" file:

"No BIOS Detected - BIOS Upgrade Install Not Complete"
Device ID: 8178 | Vendor ID: 9004

From all the information gathered it seems the FLASH4.EXE file, used to flash the BIOS chip, is first checking the BIOS chip contents. I have strong evidence which shows the BIOS chip is currently "blank", wiped clean by an EEPROM clean process. Because there is no data within the BIOS chip the FLASH4.EXE file fails stopping the process of writing the new BIOS to the chip.

If this is all correct then is there anything wrong with bypassing the "check" process on the BIOS chip which the FLASH4.exe does and simply flash writing to the BIOS chip. I mean, it certainly cant do any harm, can it?

How do I flash my Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI Host Adapter BIOS with my ROM data? The FLASH4.EXE file does not have any "bypass" feature within its parameters. Perhaps there is another tool which i can use? I've done some development so APIs and such are also acceptable.

Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've flashed a couple of 2940UW host adapters, but never ran across the issues you're having. I don't have any idea how to work around this, since the FLASH on my host adapters is soldered on...

quantass

The Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI Adapter is a PCI card. I was thinking about disassembling the FLASH4.EXE file and just patching it to skip over the fail safe and write. Someone else suggested to "pull" the chip off the board and plop it onto a useless NIC card and flash it from there. Sounds a bit crazy.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think if I were going to go to the trouble of removing the FLASH, I'd put it into a real FLASH programmer and do it that way. Perhaps my opinion is colored by having such a programmer. :D

I wonder if Adaptec has any suggestions to get past this issue?

I have never seen a socketed chip on one of these cards. Maybe I am not looking close enough.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I believe I mentioned that it's not socketed, however they're not that difficult to remove.

quantass

Johnwill, I'd gladly send you my Adaptec Host Adapter to get you to flash the bios since you have a flash programmer. Naturally I'd pay you for your generous service. :D

I wish i knew of a faster approach though.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There's that little detail about the FLASH being soldered on. :) I'd remove mine if I had to and clean it up, but I don't think I'm all that enamored with doing it for someone else. :) Of course, since I have a couple of 2940UW's in the closet, it might be cheaper to just buy one from me. :D

quantass

This kinda sounds unfair but what the heck. Johnwill, hows 'bout I send you my 2940UW, and you can keep it and do your routined quick and easy flash to get the BIOS perfect again for yourself. You can send me one of your closet 2940uw. Fair trade?!? :D I pay shipping of course.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You're right, it does sound kinda' unfair, at least from my side! :) (n)

quantass

Johnwill, Darn. :D Wellp, Im going to try to hack this FLASH4.exe file but as a backup I would still like to have u as an option. EMAIL me at: zerohourx [at] yahoo.com so we can discuss further. CU on the other side.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online