1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flashing the BIOs on a 7900 GT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KevinBumber, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinBumber

KevinBumber Thread Starter

Hello,

I've got a riddle for some of you gear heads out there! Ok first, let me start with the situation. I have recently upgraded my 7900 GT to an 8800GT. As such, I have an extra 7900GT card sitting around. My girlfriend has a mobo (and PSU i might add) capable of pushing an SLI configuration. In her PC she has a 7900 GS.

So, from what I have read in order to run both of the video cards together as SLI I will need to flash the BIOs on the 7900GT to make it run just like the 7900GS. In theory it sounds good, and it should work!

What sounds good in theory isn't always true in practice. From what I could find the only way for me to flash the BIOs is to boot the PC into a DOS mode and run a DOS program called NVflash on the card. Here's were I need help. Can anyone advise me on how to make maybe a flash drive that can boot into DOS and run the program that I need to run in order to do the video card BIOs flashing.

The more detailed and informative the response the better it will be for me. I am not very savy on using DOS. Thank you all for reading my post and I look forward to the responses!

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

I'd recommend that you go out and get a 7900GT card for your girlfriend. If you get lucky and are able to flash the GT to work like a GS (i.e., step down), you will have tons of sync problems on the video. (The speeds will still be different.).

Additionally, you cannot flash it back.

Courtney

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

There is a lot more to a GPU than BIOS. flashing it wont make it work like a GS. I would suggest getting an 88, and sell the 79s toward it. Much better in the long run! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice