1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flashplayer, Firefox and everything in between.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Visual, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Visual

Visual Thread Starter

This is what I posted on the Adobe Forums at the start of April. I have not been able to receive any answers to my questions because even more problems appeared that stemmed beyond my control.

Here is what I did:

I tried to follow the steps on this link http://http//news.cnet.com/problems-updating-the-flash-player-in-firefox-heres-help/

At the same time, I downloaded a File Unlocker at the behest of the only person that answered my plea to do away with the file that I could not delete. I deleted said file and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I downloaded the program Secunia PCI following the advice from the cnet blogger and scanned my computer. Everything seemed fine as well as I began to update all the programs that it signaled out to be security threats. After a handful of these pesky threats, and with a different result from the blog's directions, I began to see that the computer was not opening firefox, chrome or IE if I was connected to the internet, as well as Secunia stopped working.

I disconnected my pc from my router's connection and the browsers popped up, sometimes opening multiple tabs or windows at a time. I tried this again and this time I checked my task manager as these events transpired, there were no firefox or any browser activity in any of the processes or the applications at work.

What. Can. I. Do?

2. Visual

Visual Thread Starter

There have been a lot of views to my thread... but no one has any clue what to do?

3. TOGG

TOGG

You seem to have done most things I would have suggested (although the link to the cnet page doesn't work for me so I can't be certain!).

I assume you've worked your way through Adobe's own Troubleshooter but, in the unlikely event you haven't already seen it, here's the link; http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

Do you have a software or hardware firewall that could be interfering with the installation, or something like popup blockers or toolbars? Perhaps trying it in Safe Mode would work?

4. Visual

Visual Thread Starter

http://news.cnet.com/problems-updating-the-flash-player-in-firefox-heres-help/

Sorry, I copied down the link incorrectly.

As for trying in safe mode, I'm not sure how to do it in Windows XP.

Another thing that I thought of was the firewall, but oddly enough, this one also started malfunctioning. I have CA Internet Security 2008 running and it hasn't been able to update. Neither is the firewall working as it should. If the computer is connected, it simply does not function at all, it doesn't recognize any changes I make to it to activate the firewall.

And also, I did try uninstalling and installing both Firefox and Flashplayer, and neither seems to be functioning, unless there is an order that I must do it in? I've done it so many times, I forget if I have left out a smaller detail.

5. oksteve

oksteve

You do have the Firefox plug in for Flash ?

As web designer I have to have the main flash player installed on my PC and plugins for Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Just a thought

6. Visual

Visual Thread Starter

That's the thing, though. I had the plugins and I believe I have the ActiveX components too. However, when I updated it, the versions interrupted each other. After that, I tried uninstalling various times, with the uninstaller in Adobe's site. It had no effect either.

7. oksteve

oksteve

often as you probably know yourself, its the simplest things that go wrong yet the hardest to find.

If you can't see the flash graphics here http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ then download Flash.
    Or here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7 for Firefox.
    Reset FF and reset you computer while your at it.
    Did you try system restore ?

Adobe has the nasty habit of downloading stuff you never asked for and the only way to remove them is semtex. However as we lack that kind of firepower we have to follow the usual boring trial and error or remote fixing stuff.
    But we do get good results much more than not so good:)

8. Visual

Visual Thread Starter

That's the problem, however. I've tried uninstalling and installing, however I didn't see that firefox link with the conveniently put plug-ins... My problem now is that it has gotten to the point where my computer doesn't want to open any browsers, so I am unable to download any of these.

I'm guessing I have to transfer this problem to another section of the forum?

9. TOGG

TOGG

In your first post you mention that the affected computer is the 'main station' to your router. Does this mean that it is part of a home network?(as you can tell, I know nothing about networking!)

If a network is involved, click on the ' Report' button and ask a Moderator to transfer this to the Networking Forum in case the problem is due to your router or networking card (or any of the other hardware/software I know nothing about).

10. Visual

Visual Thread Starter

See, I would, but I can connect with my other computers to my router just fine. I think it's the computer itself and not my network that is having problems. Right now, I am not using the computer in question, I can't use it at all with some programs because it freezes up and shows no response to those certain programs.

Now, I'm not sure if that's some type of malware or somesuch problem, but it all started because of the flashplayer... Hrm, I guess I'll move the thread to another part of the forum. Thanks for the help!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IMO it's time to cut your losses and move on. My suggestion is to format the drive and install Windows fresh. It's not impossible to troubleshoot and fix multiple problems, but it can also take more time and effort than starting over.

12. Visual

Visual Thread Starter

Yeah, my problem with that is that I have loads of stuff on my computer and have no way of backing it up in a cinch. So unless I get a battalion of burnable CD's or an external HD, there is no way I am formatting my computer. But I'll give it some thought.

13. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Also, tapping F8 on startup or restart should bring up the Windows boot menu, which includes Safe Mode.

I know you don't want to hear a lecture, but there is good reason why folks say "data you have only one copy of is data you don't care about." Hard drives are pretty reliable, but they do fail and sometimes suddenly and catastrophically.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice