1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flat Earthers - I have a question

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by simian, Sep 16, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Wino

Wino

I'm thinkin' 'Flat Earther's' and Christians have much in common when it comes to leaps of faith.

Brigham likes this.
  2. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

At some point, some religions do appear cultish with a desperate need to 'convince'.
    Much like this 'flat Earth' syndrome.

3. Lanctus

Lanctus

Without getting into religion, there is a big difference here. We know other dimensions exist, though we cannot always see or interact with them. This gets into String Theory and quantum physics. Could there be more than we experience in our 3 dimensional (4 dimensional if you include the element of Time) existence? We cannot discount it. Is the Earth flat? There is not a planetary body we have yet to see in the cosmos that ascribes to a "flat planetary mass of distinction", much less one with an atmosphere and "magical" sea ice that somehow keeps the entire pressure and mass of all the oceans combined within its borders, without melting from the Sun, or breaking and releasing the water into the void. Flat Earthers even recently admitted that Mars was a sphere, because it was observed as such.

That's Science.

4. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

wino stipulated 'leaps of faith'.

There is an absence of physical evidence to the extreme beliefs of young Earth creationists and flat Earthers.
    Point, there is physical evidence contrary to their beliefs.

5. Lanctus

Lanctus

Exactly. The observation, study, knowledge, and measurement of the Universe is Science. It is not perfect and certainly does not know everything (or how it works), but it is the best measuring stick we have for what is going on around (and inside) us.

Johnny-be-Good likes this.
  6. Lanctus

Lanctus

Honestly, all of us just one day "woke up" here, and we've spent our collective lives trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Johnny-be-Good likes this.
  7. Wino

Wino

Not I. Personally, 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth' and have better things to spend my time on. :confused:

Brigham likes this.
  8. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

Think of the vet bills..........:D

9. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Interesting.
    Some theories require additional dimensions to work, but they are just theories. I have yet to see any proof that additional dimensions exist, and doubt very much that we ever will. Quantum theory also states that extra dimensions occur in extremely small places, and are local as opposed to "everywhere", so there effect (if they exist) could well be confined to these spaces, as opposed to affecting larger areas. In this case, the 3 dimensions we have in normal life could well be the only ones we will encounter. Similarly, parallel universes seem to be gaining as a theory but again it is only a theory.
    Flat earthers have a right to their opinions- whether right or wrong doesnt matter. As said before, religion relies on faith and a complete rejection of anything that disagreeswith it, so why should flatters not be accorded the same grace?

10. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

To believe in anything is a right.
    To impose a belief not so much.

11. Lanctus

Lanctus

I think Patton Oswalt said it best.
    “You’ve gotta respect everyone’s beliefs." No, you don’t. That’s what gets us in trouble. Look, you have to acknowledge everyone’s beliefs, and then you have to reserve the right to go: "That is &*@king stupid. Are you kidding me?" I acknowledge that you believe that, that’s great, but I’m not going to respect it. I have an uncle that believes he saw Sasquatch. We do not believe him, nor do we respect him!”

12. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

:D

Yep....respect is a consideration that is earned.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196429