Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavicons & Temporary Internet Files

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mike5532g 
#1 ·
I have lost the original favicons on my desktop to be replaced by the E of Microsoft Internet Explorer. Would deleting the Temporary Internet Files allow me to regain those sites's original logos as Icons on the desktop?
Shamou

#2 ·
Ususally the opposite is true - if you empty your internet cache, the custom icons disappear as they are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder. I never had much luck making these custom icons "stick", so what I do is create a folder - "Icons" - in my Windows directory, locate the particular favicon (always "favicon.ico" or "favicon[1].ico", etc.) in the Temporary Internet Files folder, copy it to the "Icons" folder, right-click and Rename it to a more suitable name. I then right-click on the shortcut, select Properties, click the 'Change icon' button, and navigate to the saved icon. This way the icon is more permanenly attached to the shortcut. I do the same in Favorites.

#3 ·
Claymore said:
Ususally the opposite is true - if you empty your internet cache, the custom icons disappear as they are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder. I never had much luck making these custom icons "stick", so what I do is create a folder - "Icons" - in my Windows directory, locate the particular favicon (always "favicon.ico" or "favicon[1].ico", etc.) in the Temporary Internet Files folder, copy it to the "Icons" folder, right-click and Rename it to a more suitable name. I then right-click on the shortcut, select Properties, click the 'Change icon' button, and navigate to the saved icon. This way the icon is more permanenly attached to the shortcut. I do the same in Favorites.
Thank you for the input. I will not empty the Temporary Internet Files folder. As for the technique you suggested, I already tried it. Goes pretty well... except yesterday, I had to do a cold boot and all H... broke loose. Even the Icons in the Icons Folder were changed to that dreadful E. As you say, I guess it is not easy to make those custom icons stick. One thing I learned out of this though is that the word is "Favicon" and not "Flavicon" :eek: Thank you :up:
Shamou

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.