Flickering monitor, Freezing Computer, and Lock ups in game

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AkDang

recently, my monitor has been flickering and then the whole computer freezes and/or the monitor just shuts off [with a soundloop of the last sound in game]

before i could play HL2, but now i cant even play Counter-Strike without this problem occuring. i used to run CS at 85 fps before but now i'm forced to run it at 60 fps because of the flickering/freezing. It still freezes at 60 fps sometimes. I tried to play Lineage II. . .same result.

i suspect that this may be overheating or my outdated hardware, but i'm not sure what to upgrade

according to EVEREST Home Edition:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz
VGA: GeForce FX 5200 [128 MB, AGP 8x]
Memory: 512 MB [two 256MB DDR SDRAM]

Temperatures
Motherboard: 38 °C (100 °F)
CPU: 48 °C (118 °F) it goes as high as 122°F in games
Aux: 31 °C (88 °F)

is there any other info i need to provide ? what about the PSU ? [and how would i find this info?]

i only have 1 fan and it's used to cool the CPU, the video card does not have a fan, it only has a heat sink that gets really really hot. . .i touched it and could not keep my finger there for more than 2 seconds literally. I tried opening the case with a fan blowing into it. this seems to help a bit but my computer ends up freezing anyways.

i have already updated the drivers for my video card. i haven't tried to overclock anything.

Any suggestions to what i should buy ? i got alot of christmas money =) Thanks so much :eek:

First off you should probably place another fan in the case, or another one on the graphics card. Your other temperatures appear to be normal. I was having issues like this awhile back. Try updating your graphics card driver, but use forceware. Here is the link for your card- http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html . Hope this helps! :)

AkDang

yes, i have already downloaded that driver and installed it. . .as for the forceware, i assume that it came with the installation because i did not alter any of the settings besides screen resolution: 1024x768, True Color 32 Bit, and i set it to 60Hz which is the lowest it can go

At this point i'm thinking of buying:
nvidia 6600GT- cheap but very effective i heard
1 gig RAM - to help relieve overheating
400W PSU - i heard my Dell Stock PSU 250W could handle more than just 250W but i don't believe that it could handle the newer VGA cards like the 6600GT

any better ideas?:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online