Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flickering monitor

922 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  potter 
#1 ·
I have a new win xp home pc with a 4+ year old CRT monitor. As of the last couple days, the monitor will begin flashing unreadably after about 10 minutes of use until I put it in standby mode for a couple minutes. However, it won't stay in standby mode more than 10 minutes or so...I'm running NAV and firewall and something always seems to pop up - I've turned off live update, which gets me up to about 10 minutes. Now that I think back on it, I've heard the monitor turning on and off quite frequently, and am trying to figure out it that's something to do with my flickering/flashing. Any ideas how I can get my monitor back? And what about standby? Can I keep the thing in standby, or do I need to give it up? I currently have it set to go into standby after 15 minutes, although I usually manually put it on when I leave. The monitor worked fine for the first couple weeks of use with this box, and worked fine for the last four years with W2K.

#2 ·
You said, "I've heard the monitor turning on and off quite frequently." Do you mean that there is a "clicking" or other sound involved, or the screen goes black??

I believe that this is a Power Supply problem...best guess.

I won't say that 4+ years is the life expectancy, but after that long it doesn't really owe you anything back!

#3 ·
I've heard means...I've heard not exactly a clicking but some noise (that I am familiar with and know to be the monitor). But, in other news, I've turned off the power saver features of this computer and the standby mode, and now when I'm using the computer the monitor seems to be working. However, I haven't heavily used it yesterday, so today will tell. Is anyone one aware of the standby mode causing problems?
I thought the CRT type monitor never died!

#4 ·
Potter,

You said, "Is anyone one aware of the standby mode causing problems?"

Well a Google of: WinXP standby problems

Yields almost 100,000 entries!!!

Even using KW's like: WinXP standby problems monitor

still will yield at least 100K articles!

So, I'd say there are no shortage of Issues!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.