1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flickering Text When Moving Window

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JustinJames1339, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustinJames1339

JustinJames1339 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, so I hope this is the right place to post this.

I have been having this problem where when I move my Google Chrome window, or even just scroll, the text seems to "flicker". It's not just text either though. Most black objects do the same when moving and it's also a problem in games. In games I see a lot of "ghosting". I have tried so many resolutions, to no success. Here's my setup. It's sort of unconventional:

GTX 1080
    16GB RAM
    Intel Core i7-6700k CPU @4GHZ

Now my monitor is not exactly a regular monitor. It is a TCL Roku 55' 4kHDR TV (2017 Model). I have it connected to my PC via HDMI 2.0. The TV is 120Hz. When I open up the menu now though, my screen kind of freaks out. Flickers and scrambles. This was not a problem just a few months ago, but trying old drivers didn't work.

I am fairly certain everything is set up properly. The cable is new and is an HDMI 2.0 cable. The TV is also fairly new. Maybe a few months old. I have it set up in NVIDIA control panel at 3840x2160, but I only seem to see 60Hz in the options. I'm not the most tech savvy, but I'm also not completely ignorant when it comes to computers. But I just can't seem to figure out the issue here. I've tried reinstalling everything, I've tried so many different "remedies" online and nothing worked. I'm clueless as to what's wrong, and what I can (or perhaps can't) do.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would suspect the TV, not the PC. Most TV's are network connected now and update on their own. So it's highly likely that whatever change is causing the issue, is with the TV.

Also, you are using a TV as a monitor. The TV is only going to accept a 60hz input, hence why you only see that option in the menu. Check your TV User Manual, but there may be a "PC" input setting. So for whichever HDMI input you are using, try adjusting that input to the "PC" setting. Aside from that, it may be a matter of trial and error adjusting the various TV options designed to make TV and movies look "better" to prevent it from altering your PC input. Any options such as "motion blur" or even disabling the upsampling to 120hz.

3. JustinJames1339

Thanks for the response.

The TV does update occasionally, but so does my graphics driver. Which is something I suspected but removing drivers and installing old ones didn't help. Sadly I can't do that on my TV. I will consider that one of the possibilities.

As for the TV only accepting 60Hz input, why would that be? The TV itself says specifically 4k at 120Hz. Everything I've read suggest between the TV, and HDMI 2.0, I should be getting 120Hz. Even the wire I got said it can transmit up to 120Hz. So the TV, wire, and PC all suggest 120Hz should be possible. The only "PC" type option to change for input, is changing from 1.4 HDMI, to 2.0 HDMI. I have looked for things like motion blur but I can't seem to locate anywhere I could shut it off. I tried disabling AntiAliasing but that didn't seem to help either. How would I disable upsampling?

It's such a pain that all of these things have so many different options and setups. It's all really annoying and confusing. Wish everything was just plug and play and worked properly. This is annoying. Especially when things are fine, then just change seemingly for no reason. Of course there is a reason, but finding it can be time consuming. I'm beyond frustrated by this.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The main problem here is that PC hardware and TV hardware are using the same cable type. Which makes everyone assume that everything is "plug and play". Computers and TV/video hardware each have their own technologies, they just happen to have some overlap as they both deal with video. The same issues apply to all of the devices which use USB cables (they can't all be connected to each other simply because they share the same cable type).

Now, as to your question, in the computer world, to get frame rates higher than 60hz, you can use an nVidia card and the "G-Sync" monitor or an AMD card and a "Freesync" monitor. Both of which will allow your PC and monitor to "sync" and display frame rates higher than 60hz up to the limit of the monitor. Some higher end video cards and monitors will sometimes also run higher than 60hz, when they are like branded.

In the TV video world, there is no use for any input speed higher than 60hz as ALL video is limited to that speed (ie: 50hz for UK/PAL material and 60hz for US/NTSC material). TV is restricted by the video specifications of the format being used. You can see the BluRay/HD specs here: https://www.videohelp.com/hd

The "120hz" referenced by the TV is the internal processing speed (and refresh rate) used when displaying the video input (ie: processing for effects such as "motion blur" or "smooth scaling").

The specs of the TCL P6 series 55" TV (you didn't list your exact model number, but this appears to be the current gen, high end model)(taken from the User Manual):
    • Video resolution (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 4K) • Frame rate (24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz for television sources, 60Hz, 70Hz, 72Hz, 75Hz for computer sources)

Also, per the User Manual:

• 120 Hz – Only on select models: Enables a higher picture refresh rate that reduces motion blur. If Off, refresh rate is 60 Hz. This setting applies to all TV inputs. On models with this feature, the 120 Hz setting is also available in the main Settings menu on the TV picture settings screen. The current setting of the control is identical in both places.

So it would appear to need to be enabled for the PC to input higher than 60hz. I didn't see any specific mention of PC settings, but I was just quickly browsing. I suggest digging out your User Manual, and taking a look.

5. JustinJames1339

Thanks for that detailed explanation, as it definitely makes more sense to me now. Maybe one day in the future things will simplify.

I definitely would love to get a gsync, they are just so expensive. It's a dream of mine for sure. I like having my PC hooked up to a TV because I use it as my "TV". I play all my games on it, and watch my shows and movies on it. It's really convenient. I saw recently that nVidia is releasing this crazy 65" TV with gsync and all that. I dont think it's even out yet, but I'm sure it'll be well over a thousand dollars. A little too rich for my blood. Maybe one day.

As for my model, its this one here https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MTGM5I9

It claims 120Hz but I don't see any option anywhere to change that. I poked around and noticed in the option to change it from 1.4 HDMI to 2.0 states that it allows 4k up to 60Hz. Which doesn't make sense. HDMI is the only inputs as well. I'll have to dig the manual out later and give it a read through. Or poke around online when I get the chance later.

Thanks again for helping out. If I wasn't already a bald man, this issue would have made me one by now. lol

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice