1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Flight Simulator X controllers

Discussion in 'Games' started by twizzie, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826102002

With that stick can I control all airplanes in fsx (exclude helicopters)? I'm refering to small planes and also Boeing 747's. Or...should I purchase a kit with throttle and steering wheel. Also, the link includes 2 parts, one is the joystick, and can someone confirm if the second one (first in picture) is the throttle?

If the stick mentioned above isn't suitable, how about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826102507

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    If you are a true Flight Sim fan you will want the Saitek X52. I personally tried several less complicated/less expensive models and found that the Logitech 3D Pro force feedback model felt good and provided a better button arrangement. Also try some of the flight sim magazines such as www.pcpilot.net fpr reviews and information.

3. ACA529

ACA529

You don't have a stick yet? :O How can you fly without one? ;)

The first one you posted looks alright, I use a Logitech joystick, and it works just fine. Try to get one with a throttle and several buttons (for spoilers, flaps, pitch, etc.) :)

4. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

I'm going to just buy the cheaper one, I don't plan on being a FSX-aholic, and really don't want to spend 100 dollars, still have to upgrade speakers and sound card. See the position I'm in? Anyway, can both sticks control up to 4 engines in its throttle?

5. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

LOL i use a like year 2000 microsoft sidewinder... it works FLAWLESSLY. it is USB and i have never had a problem with it in either FSX, or recently with Lock On modern air combat. the only thing i would like better about it is more buttons, or another hat or 2. but other than that it's great. I too would recommend the X52, my uncle has one and my FSX buddy has one, and they both love them.

6. ACA529

ACA529

yes, I have one engine throttle stick and it moves all the engines at the same time on the 747. Nothing to worry about.

7. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

sweet, I really had my heart set on the X52, was about to order it. However, I plan on getting high-def audio card, and at least 120 watt speakers. This kinda slew me down on the whole joystick thing. The other one I chose isn't such a ba choice either, its made by Saitek anyway, so thats gonna rock. Also, I'm not a hardcore player on fsx, although I could use some help! 1 question~~

How do you know what direction to go to in free flight?? For example, if I'm in free flight, and I'm in New york, lets just say, how do I know which way to go to if I want to go to Germany, or hell, antartica

8. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Which way to go? Do you understand North, South, East, West? It's a simple matter of looking at a map and going in that direction. However, if you want to get to a really specific location you will need the Latitude and Longitudes. Those are also usually included on a map. For instance I am in Rockwood, Tennessee so if I want to fly from either of the two (tiny) airports to say Antartica, then I take off and turn south. Locally I like to fly between the two tall smoke stacks at the Kingston Steam plant. I used to work there once. Enjoy flying!!

9. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

Yea, I get it now. I clicked "flight planner" in free flight. THen, I chose a destination, and then a departure location. Then, I clicked " find route " and it automatically chose a high-altitude route for me. I could keep on track with this route by using the map you mentioned.

10. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

oh by the way, I'm flying from Hyderabad, India to La Guardia Airport, New York. Will this really take two days?

11. Avalanche9

Avalanche9

yup - unless you get a really fast plane, or increase the game speed

it's pretty easy to do a flight like that: you just need to set it on course (using GPS not NAV - otherwise course changes due to the curvature of the earth) and leave it on autopilot

12. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

Yea, I used to have 2002 a long long time ago, I was like a 10 year old pilot. This is damn fun! By the way, do you play online?

~~~~~ I placed an order for the Saitek AV8R just today from newegg. By the way did you know that if you want a two day delivery from Newegg with the price of 3 days, you just have to order before 2 p.m. (I'm pretty sure this applies for all time zones)

13. Avalanche9

Avalanche9

cool - i got an X52 - very cool HOTAS system - much recomended

14. ACA529

ACA529

This game is addictive... :)

You can also download different airplane models from different sites, if you'd like, I can list some for you. :)

15. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    For Avianca: Do you have any info/sites for P3 Orion models that can be downloaded? I was stationed at VP-30 In Jacksonville, Florida and would be interested in trying out one of those.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!