1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floopy Drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doomsday123, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doomsday123

Doomsday123 Thread Starter

Well, my floopy drive is retarded. I think it is something to do with the settings or something on my computer. Every time I insert a disk it tells me it is not formated and it asks me if I want to format it. I say yes and It takes me to the format A:\ thing. Then I press start and it says I selected the wrong size or the disk is bad but it is the right size and the disk isnt bad. It tells me that with every disk. Can anyone help me plz?

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

sounds like its dirty. blow it out with some compressed air....might as well open up your case and clean out ALL the dustbunnies if you havent done it in a while.

if thats not it, its usually easier to just replace a bad floppy. can get a new one for $10-15 or so usually.

3. Doomsday123

Doomsday123 Thread Starter

I did that and I also replaced the floopy drive. still doesnt work.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Will it work correctly in safe mode?

5. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Check in Device Manager to see if you have a conflict there. Please port back with your finds. Also may wanna check to see if you have a Virus. Some newer trojans can Disable you floppy.

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

You may also want to check the settings in bios. Be sure that it is set for 3.5" 1.44 MB.

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

Are you positive the disks you are using are good?

By this I mean have you actually took the disk and checked it on another machine after trying it in this one?

The message you are getting is not generally caused by a bios setting or loose cable, etc.

You might try booting into dos via boot disk and seeing if it works there.

8. evadiaz

evadiaz

Change the flat cable to the another with only two outlet not the old flat cable with outlet to 5 1/4 disk.
    Good Luck

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice