1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy disk doesn't open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by suzana, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suzana

suzana Thread Starter

Hi..
    I don't know why my floppy disk doesn't open. I insert the floppy
    disk to drive A and I got mess. Please insert a disk but the disk is there. I went to MComputer to open A drive but takes for ever to open and then I got this mess again.
    Can somebody help ...big proble..l

2. vesselle

vesselle

you should have a reset hole on the faceplate... the size of a pinhole.

get a safety pin or a paperclip and straighten it out and push it in the hole. you should feel when it makes contact, at which point, it will popout whatever is inside. :)

V***V

PS: floppy drives are pretty inexpensive. prolly the only thing that hasn't changed in like, 10 years. :) if this is a constant problem, time to think about getting a new one.

or, if you're comfortable.. go inside and check your mount and connections. something may be a lil loose in there. ;)

good luck!

3. suzana

suzana Thread Starter

Hi I do not know how to do this please help,if You can expl.Thank you I am not pro.. I only know how to use the computer.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Is the problem reading a floppy and/or getting it to pop out?

5. suzana

suzana Thread Starter

ich time I insert floppy takes long time to open,but I got this mess. no disk. The computer is new.

6. suzana

suzana Thread Starter

Pop=up and open

7. Dan O

Dan O

Pop out meaning it is not physically stuck in the floppy drive.

It sounds like the problem is reading the floppy disk to view the files on it.

To determine if the problem is a software or hardware problem I recommend you boot with a floppy boot disk, such as a Windows 98 Startup disk, which you can get from: www.bootdisk.com

Once you download it you will need to execute the it. Insert a new or used floppy disk (that does not have data on it you want as it will be overwritten), and double click the downloaded file name, you can use MY Computer. Then reboot leaving the floppy in the drive. Select Without CD Support and once it finishes booting type: DIR (and hit Enter)

If it displays the file names quickly then it not a hardware problem with the floppy drive.

Once you do this let us know the results and we will recommend the next step.

8. vesselle

vesselle

suzana..

i can only describe where my reset hole is.

make sure you have a good light shining on the front of the computer box.

look at the faceplate, and the area around where you slide your floppy disk in.

there's probably a button on the right side to pop out whatever is inside.

but on the left lower side (this is based on MY floppy drive) there is a little teeny hole, no bigger than a needle. its near the bottom of the faceplate on the left.

if you unfold a paperclip, it will be the right size to slip in. slide it in slowly till you feel it hit something. when you hit it, it will feel springy. press it in till you can't press anymore and then pull it out.

by the time you pull out the paper clip, your floppy should've ejected. :)

good luck!

V***V

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

I don't mean to be rude, but I have never seen a reset hole in a Floppy drive. Some cases hide the drive completely under a decorative faceplate. At any rate, do what DanO posted. More than likely, there is something on your floppy that XP doesn't like and not the drive itself.

10. suzana

suzana Thread Starter

no reset hole I do not have a problem to insert the disk ,the problem is yhat;s sowning all the time insert the disk even the disk is inside.

11. suzana

suzana Thread Starter

Hi.
    When I insert a disk I click Ok then starts looking in fewmin.,asking me insert disk to A:

12. Dan O

Dan O

suzana,

I think we confusing each other. Let start over, please describe everything you do on the PC once you power it on to when the problem occurs. Also post any errors exactly as they are displayed and report any strange PC behavior, like you did but provide more detail.

Also what is fewmin? Or if you don't state that.

13. suzana

suzana Thread Starter

Hi Don
    ok. I insert the floppy to drive,then go to my computer whit click
    on A: I try open fd , after a minute I got message ...please insert the disk, then I repide the same procedure over and over.
    I can"t open the propertis I had todo from local C: hardware Under name is flopy disk and under type also flopy disk I try troubleshooting no problem but I stell can't open a flopy

14. Dan O

Dan O

Suzana,

As I stated in my first message you should first check if the problem is hardware or software. Please follow the steps I posted and let us know if your floppy drive works properly when booting from floppy.

Good luck and don't give up you can do it.

15. suzana

suzana Thread Starter

Thank you I found the problem..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!