1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy Disk Drive Mount

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dthomsen215, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dthomsen215

dthomsen215 Thread Starter

I have a floppy disk drive mounted in a Win98SE (OS and that era hardware computer) which does not boot the system, but I can boot on another floppy disk drive held loose in the case.

My difficulty is that I cannot figure out how to get the old drive out. It has some kind of rails on each side, no screws visible from either side of the case, but by pressing on some barely visible holes near the front of the case I can free up the drive to move it about 3/4" forward, but that is all. Very annoying.

I really would like to mount the replacement floppy disk in the case, which has no holes for screws or any other visible means to mount a floppy disk without removing the current one. There is an open slot below the mounted drive, and the loose drive is there, but getting the floppies in and out is tricky.

If digital photos would help, let me know what to take. (Last minute idea before posting.)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may need to remove the front face of the computer, look for a latch on the bottom of the front of the computer. In most cases where the drives are on rails the front comes off and they slide forward.

If it doesn't come off, then take a few pictures and post them.

3. dthomsen215

dthomsen215 Thread Starter

Removing the front was the answer, once I figured out the tabs holding on the plastic front. I even found two more rails in my box of PC hardware, so I mounted a ZIP Drive along with the floppy disk drive. Thank you for the prompt advice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice