1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

floppy disk drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zaroou, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zaroou

Zaroou It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I cannot get my floppy disk drive to work. When I double click on my floppy disk drive icon, an error message appears saying that:

<center>"a:/ is not accessable
    The system cannot read from the specified device"</center>

How can fix this problem?

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

that message usually means the disk you are trying to use has gone bad.

Have you tried a different disk or tried this disk on a different machine?

did you recently make any changes to your hardware(add memory, etc)? if so the cables could have been accidentaly disconnected/loosened/installed upside down, etc.

3. theporg

theporg

You don,t mention anything about your O.S. or when the failure occured. If possible close down the computer to DOS. If unable to then restart and press F8. You have to catch it just right and you will enter the start up options. If u can select Command Prompt only. When u get there type A: then hit enter. put a floppy in type dir hit enter and you should then see the directory of the disk on the screen. If not it looks like your floppy drive may have fallen over. If it does read let the Forum know and we will take it from there.

4. Zaroou

Thanks for the advice. I tried it but it didn't seem to work, and I don't really have any idea how to restore my floppy disk drive if it has 'fallen over'. Could you tell me how to do this?

5. theporg

theporg

How do you mean 'It didnt seem to work' I take it you managed to get to the C: prompt (Command prompt) Then to the A: prompt and tried to access your floppy drive. Please describe the exact message when you did so.

Also when was the drive last active/working.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

did you try another disk or this disk in another machine as I suggested?

7. plschwartz

plschwartz

If have determined that it is not a bad disk then the next most probable thing is that the drive is dirty. You can get a special floppy drive cleaner but a new floppy drive on www.pricegrabber.com starts at $8.00 so why bother/

8. Zaroou

I've tried a number of disks but none of them work. The little green light turns on when the computer is attempting to read from the floppy disk drive, so the connection must be fine. Is there another reason that may be causing the failure?

9. wizzkid

wizzkid

Hi there, that problem has just arose on my friends machine, but it is only intermittent. When saving a file it will work fine, the next time the message A:\ is not accessible the system cannot read from the specified drive. Any one any ideas other than what has been mentioned. As it works intermittently surely it can't be anything major.

Thanks

10. wizzkid

wizzkid

What if I removed the floppy drive via: Start - settings - control panel - system - device manager - restart would Windows redetect the floppy and re-install it. Or is doing this a waste of time? And won't do any good.

Cheers

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice