1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

floppy disk drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by carlmeyers, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlmeyers

carlmeyers Thread Starter

My system is Windows XP. I recently bought a older version of LOTUS 123 for home use with the program on 4 -3-1/2 floppy disks. When I attempt to install, the following happens:

Disk 1 (install disk) loads perfectly. then it asks for disk 2.

Disk 2 when placed in the slot, causes the disk drive to click/rattle and nothing happens. In fact, the computer seems to freeze and none of the normal commands work. I have to shut the computer off by pulling the power cord.

All the disks appear to be like new

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks

Carl Meyers

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Put Disk 2 in the drive and open it in My Computer. If you have the same problem, then the disk is bad. It doesn't matter what it looks like on the outside. If you can browse the disk's contents, then it may be a compatibility issue between the old application and the new operating system.

3. Plato!

Plato!

If you want specifics on where the disk is defective, run scandisk.

4. carlmeyers

carlmeyers Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply--the disk is obviously bad--from c prompt i can get a directory of all the other disks--disk 2 response is "cannot find sector"

Do you have any idea where I might get a copy or replacement for this single disk?

Thanks

Carl Meyers

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You said you recently bought the copy you have. Why not go to the same place? Or ask for a refund since you paid for something that doesn't work. Other than that, I can only think of eBay as a possible source.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice