Floppy disk error on boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JustMe2

Crystal
This is an old Hewlett Packard VL5/166, that my girls play on. It's not hooked up to the router as yet, so no internet. It's running Windows 98se with 192MB ram, the original 1.6 GB hard drive as the C drive, and a 10GB second drive that is partitioned.
Friday, it started booting up with the following...
0311-AE Flexible Disk Drive Error

If errors are reported because one or more of the listed components have been removed, press <F4> to validate changes.
<F1>=continue, <F2>=setup, <F4>=validate, Enter=View System Error.
If I hit F1, it continues to boot normally.

I get the following when I press enter...
Error message 1 of 1: Error code 0311
Flexible Disk Drive B is not responding, but is configured in the setup Program.

Followed by more instructions about validating the change.
Thing is, there hasn't been any change. Checked Setup, and the Disk Drive B isn't even enabled.
Half afraid to hit validate, not knowing why I am getting this error.
I noticed just a while ago, that the clock was 10 minutes fast. Could this possiby be a battery going bad??? Or am I just grasping at straws here?
JustMe2

Go into your bios (hit del, f1, f10, whatever your machine says to press to enter setup during boot up before windows loads).

if you only have one floppy drive, then disable the B option. your floppy should be a.

sounds like someone was playing in there. If you are positive no one has been in your bios, then yes the battery would be the next likely culprit.

JustMe2

Crystal
Jtoast,
Already checked setup. B option isn't even available unless there is actually a drive installed there. Just skips right over it. Guess I'll pull the battery tomorrow and go get a new one and see what happens.
JustMe2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online