1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy disk error on boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JustMe2, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    This is an old Hewlett Packard VL5/166, that my girls play on. It's not hooked up to the router as yet, so no internet. It's running Windows 98se with 192MB ram, the original 1.6 GB hard drive as the C drive, and a 10GB second drive that is partitioned.
    Friday, it started booting up with the following...
    0311-AE Flexible Disk Drive Error

If errors are reported because one or more of the listed components have been removed, press <F4> to validate changes.
    <F1>=continue, <F2>=setup, <F4>=validate, Enter=View System Error.
    If I hit F1, it continues to boot normally.

I get the following when I press enter...
    Error message 1 of 1: Error code 0311
    Flexible Disk Drive B is not responding, but is configured in the setup Program.

Followed by more instructions about validating the change.
    Thing is, there hasn't been any change. Checked Setup, and the Disk Drive B isn't even enabled.
    Half afraid to hit validate, not knowing why I am getting this error.
    I noticed just a while ago, that the clock was 10 minutes fast. Could this possiby be a battery going bad??? Or am I just grasping at straws here?
    JustMe2

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Go into your bios (hit del, f1, f10, whatever your machine says to press to enter setup during boot up before windows loads).

if you only have one floppy drive, then disable the B option. your floppy should be a.

sounds like someone was playing in there. If you are positive no one has been in your bios, then yes the battery would be the next likely culprit.

3. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    Jtoast,
    Already checked setup. B option isn't even available unless there is actually a drive installed there. Just skips right over it. Guess I'll pull the battery tomorrow and go get a new one and see what happens.
    JustMe2

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice