1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

floppy disk fail and windows won't load past windows logo screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Phone_Tools, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phone_Tools

Phone_Tools Thread Starter

hey, so for no reason as far as i can tell i started having this problem today. my computer was working fine for awhile this morning, but then a bit later when i tried to open firefox the computer froze for no reason. kinda wierd since that has never happened before so i restarted it.

now what happens is it displays an error that says "floppy disk(s) fail (40)" and i have to press F1 to continue. i don't know why it would do this since my computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive.

then when it gets to the screen that shows the windows XP logo and the loading bar at the bottom (the screen before your desktop loads), it works for a few seconds normally. then the little loading bar at the bottom slows down a whole lot and goes really slow... and just stays like that. the computer won't load past that point, it just stays on that screen, with the xp logo and bar going really slowly!

so, has anyone seen this problem before? what should i do? i don't really feel like reformatting again.

i'm running windows xp home edition by the way

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It is probably due to the floppy disk failure. I would check the connections to the floppy drive on the back side to make sure the ribbon cable and the power connector are connected properly. If they are I would try another floppy drive in its place.

While you have the side of the computer off it would be a good time to get a can of compressed-air and give the heatsink a good evacuation and do not take the heatsink off the processor.

3. Kitch

Kitch

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try CMOS battery replacement???

If it has defaulted to the default BIOS settings because the battery has failed, It could well be looking for several devices that are not actually installed.

5. Phone_Tools

so how do i disable the floppy drive in BIOS? i tried just taking it out of the boot sequence but that didn't work.

and i opened my computer and checked all the cables, they seem to be connected right. i don't have a floppy drive though but it all looks right.

6. DaveBurnett

On the front BIOS panel there will be an option at the bottom about Floppy drives

7. Phone_Tools

ok so nothing i have tried has worked. i got impatient and decided just to reformat cause there wasn't that much stuff on my computer. BUT now of course it wont let me reformat. it loads the windows disk, then when it gets to the screen where it asks you what you want to do (r for recovery console, enter to install windows), and i click either of those, it says 'inspecting hardware configuration' i think then it goes to this screen that says "Examining 131070 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi..." and it just stays there. it won't let me get to the screen where i can reformat.

so can anyone help me with this?? this is kinda getting kinda ridiculous.

8. DaveBurnett

First thing to do is go and have a cup of coffee, walk the dog, or whatever and relax.

Now, what sort of machine is this, desktop, or laptop. What make and model, and how old is it.

9. Phone_Tools

hey dave,
    so, it's a desktop. i do not know what company it was made by or the model. it is about 3 or 4 years old.

i have been looking on the internet and it seems like a lot of people have had the same problem of the windows installation stalling at "Examining ____ MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi...", and i haven't seen one explanation or solution to this problem. it's kinda wierd since it seems like a pretty common problem.

10. DaveBurnett

Find a Small linux CD with Memtest86 on it, or download it yourself and run it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!