1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Floppy Disk fail(s) (40)" Boot-up error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by irainbow, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Hi,

A sudden error began appearing on my computer yesterday (running XP Home, 2nd SP). When I'm booting up (cold or not) I get a screen which says "Floppy Disk fail(s) (40)" and then it allows me to continue by pressing the F1 key.

Any ideas how to get rid of this short of having to take into a shop?

I am definitely not a 'techie' and need kindergarten-language instructions.

Thanks in advance for any and all help! :)

rainbow

2. physician

physician

hi
    do you not have a floppy disk drive? If you do, then it may be malfunctioning and is easily and cheaply replaced. If you don't or don't want to see that message any more, you can simply go into the bios and take it out of the boot order. Restart your computer and hit the delete key over on the top left or F key depending on what the message says when it starts to boot - it will say hit this key to enter setup. The most important thing to know is that at the bottom of the setup page are the commands to do whatever you want. You can move around from screen to screen without doing any harm to your computer as long as you don't save anything. You can look at things and change things, but when you save - it better be right or the computer may not restart. Its not hard to get rid of the floppy in the boot order - this is the sequence that the computer goes thru to boot up into the Operating System - usually floppy drive, CDROM then hard drive. If you want to get rid of the floppy in the boot sequence, you change the 1st drive to CDROM and the second drive to hard drive or hard disk.

I copied the below:
    Get your boots in order
    A very useful setting the BIOS allows you to change is how your computer boots. When it first starts, the BIOS looks for a disk containing an operating system to boot from.

Usually, this is the hard disk but there may be times when you want to boot from a floppy disk or a CD-Rom. Which drives are checked and in what order is determined by the Boot Order in the BIOS.

Changing the Boot Order can make your computer more secure as it gives you more control over how it starts. Even if Windows is password-protected, it is possible for someone to start the computer with a floppy disk or a CD.

Alternatively, if you want to stop someone messing around with your computer, you can do so by restricting how the computer starts and make your computer look on your hard drive for an operating system first.

Enter your BIOS in the usual way and enter the Advanced BIOS Features screen. You will either see a list of the devices the BIOS checks, or an option to change the boot order.

To make our computer more secure we are going to change the first boot device to HDD-0, which is short for Hard Disk Drive 0, or the first hard disk, in other words. Move down to First Boot Device and press Enter to see a list of devices the computer can boot from. Move down to HDD-0 and press Enter again.

Changing the boot order for troubleshooting is effectively the reverse of this process. There are lots of very good troubleshooting tools that you can load from CD or floppy disk. If there are problems with the hard drive, you may need to make the computer look elsewhere first.

This might be necessary if Windows has a fault that stops it from loading properly or if you want to boot from the Windows CD-Rom in order to reinstall it. Return to the Advanced BIOS Features screen and change the First Boot Device to the media that you want to boot from.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/features/1154497

hth...doc

3. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

4. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Today, the computer booted up just fine -- no evidence of the error message. I am hopeful it was just a loose connection. I did go back there to check, and it looks like I'd need a special tool (which I'm lacking) to loosen the screws and remove the back. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this is all it is. (By the way, the floppy drive operated just fine even with the ERROR message, and I did a virus check with Panda Titanium, and nothing showed up.)

I will, however, keep your message on hand just in case this acts up again ... and hope against hope that it is NOT the motherboard. *sigh*

Thanks, again, so much for taking the time and trouble to enter the descriptive message (even though some of it -- about the BIOS -- seemed a bit over my head)!!!

5. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

okay -- IMAGINE there's a smiley there! *LOL*

6. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

I've looked over the article and will hang onto it, though it appears the error condition has corrected itself.

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply -- I'm grateful for the help. :)

7. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

Your

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/357221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice