1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy disk hunting

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Fitz, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I recently tested ny emergency boot disk for W95, ever since which, shortly after boot-up, my computer spends up to a minute seeking a file in the floppy disk-drive. I remedy this by shoving a disk, any disk, into the drive, but would like to know how I can stop this automatic irritating procedure. I've tried rebooting with the same boot disk, and pushing that in the drive when it starts to hunt, but to no avail.

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

One possible remedy is to go into your system's BIOS (either by pressing F10, or del, or something like that), and changing the boot sequence to C, A, CD-ROM or something similar. Just choose a configuration that doesn't put your floppy (A: drive) first.
    You can always change this back, should you need to use a boot disk in the future. :)

Hope it helps,

Columbo

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

4. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
    Columbo, this doesn't happen on boot-up but after everything is loaded so I think the boot sequence hasn't changed: it looks in A-drive first, but then reverts to the hard-drive to complete the boot-up sequence, as is the norm.
    I took a look at the Windows web-help file Gnosisless, but there must be almost 100 registered file types in there. I started opening each one to see if the A-drive is activated, and I can see the logic, but this is going to take forever...Is there any other way I can check which file triggers the A-drive trawling?
    I've re-checked for viruses.
    Fitz

5. guru2

guru2 Guest

go into control panel, system, files and uncheck the box in floppy drives to stop it searching for floppys.

6. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Thanks for that Guru2.
    I'm in Control Panel/System, but don't see anything marked Files.
    I can see four tabs: General, Device Manager, Hardware Profiles, Performance. Is it in one of these?...I can't see it.

7. guru2

guru2 Guest

hi fitz, it's under performance, click on that. you may have to reboot as well. i'm not sure if things are the same as i'm using ME.
    good luck.

8. columbo

columbo

Hi Fitz,

Sorry about that. I just assumed that because you said it occurs "shortly after boot-up", you meant before Windows starting loading. Hope Guru2's suggestion works for ya.

Columbo :)

9. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

guru2,
    In Performance I can see 3 tabs: File System, Graphics, and Virtual Memory. In File System, there are three more tabs(!):
    Hard disk, CD-Rom, and Troubleshooting.
    Maybe it's different in the ME edition.

10. guru2

guru2 Guest

sorry fitz, i thought you were running 98, forgot you are using 95.
    win95 is without some of the functions of 98 or ME and i have not used it in a while. loks like you're on your own. sorry!!

11. columbo

columbo

Hey Fitz,

Here's another link you could try.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-037

Post back to let us know what happens.

Columbo:cool:

P.S- If you have WinZip installed

You could also try doing a registry search (start, run, regedit. Click on Edit, then Find) then type in Nico Mak. You should eventually come to a folder that says Nico Mak Computing under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software. Click to expand this folder, then look under the "directories" "extract" and "file menu" folders. Remove any entry that references the A: drive.

12. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Hey Columbo, I think you hit paydirt!
    One of the suggestions that the "Annoyance.org" webpage made was to "clear unwanted entries from the Start Menus Run Command" so I took a look in there (C:\Windows\startup\) and found that a business game that I was trialing and had loaded via a boot-up disk was hunting for input from the A-drive, so after I deleted this, the problem seemed to disappear. The reason that I had used a boot-up disk, by the way, was that it was an old DOS-based programme, which is having increasing problems coping with the ever evolving versions of Windows, but it is really excellent (I run it on the MBA course that I teach on).

I really think Tech Support is a terrific forum, and I like to think that I help out as much as I'm helped, but I fear that this isn't yet the case, but with the knowledge and the tips that I have picked up over the 22 months of my membership and confederation, I have tried to increase the rate of input and contribution, but the ratio is still way skewed so that I'm helped more than I help, but I'm working on it.
    Yours,
    A grateful Englishman,
    Fitz

13. columbo

columbo

Hey Fitz,

Glad to hear that things worked out.

"Jolly good show, old boy" :D

(sorry, I couldn't help it, I just love the way the English talk) :rolleyes:

Columbo

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice